Problem with MP3 music

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PSP (PlayStation Portable) port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

triple_a80

Problem with MP3 music

Post by triple_a80 »

Hi, this is my first post on these forums!

I have the following setup: PSP FW1.5 with Sandisk Memory Stick Pro Duo Gaming 1GB (Sandisk product SDMSG-1024).
The problem is that games that use mp3 tracks slow down every few seconds. For example Secret of Monkey Island slows down every few seconds. The music and sounds stop for just long enough to be annoying. I can see that the PSP is loading data from the memory stick when this happens. So clearly it is loading more of the mp3 to the memory and this event causes the audio to stutter. The mp3 files are 96kbps stereo.

Has anyone else had this problem and know a solution? I will have to try with the 333MHz version of Scummvm tonight when I get home and see if that helps.

I sure hope that this is not due to my memory stick being too slow. I thought Sandisk memory sticks were supposed to be fast. Maybe it's because I have the 'gaming' version? I don't know for sure, but maybe sandisk makes the 'gaming' lineup with slower memory or something? I'm considering buying a 2GB memory stick soon so this question is also important.
Clark Kent

Post by Clark Kent »

Yep I had the same problem. Solved it by encoding the tracks as .ogg instead.
triple_a80

Post by triple_a80 »

Clark Kent wrote:Yep I had the same problem. Solved it by encoding the tracks as .ogg instead.
Didn't think of that. Thanks for the tip, I'll have to try it.
D_W_Y

Post by D_W_Y »

Dummy question, but do you just stick everything in one folder, then just hit add game on the folder?