Gabriel Knight 1 - what files to play?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

adamo

Gabriel Knight 1 - what files to play?

Post by adamo »

Ok, first off I do realize that Gabriel Knight 1 is official unsupported. But given that people have at least gotten it running, I was wondering if anybody could tell me what files I need to play it?

FYI, I downloaded the game of Gog. I was able to figure out that the file gk1.gog is actually an iso image. Thus I now have the game's cd image and access to the individual files in it.
einstein95

Post by einstein95 »

OK, as I only have Dragonsphere, I can't say much for Gabriel Knight, but you need:
the resource.* files
the *.snd files
the *.hep files
the *.map files
the *.msg files
the *.scr files
262.v56
"version" (optional)

where * is anything.

These would be a folder in the same folder you found the gk1.gog disc image.

On a side note, Gabriel Knight is a SCI game, where the game would have to be installled to get the datafiles needed.
Collector

Post by Collector »

More than that. For the CD version, early everything in the PATCHES, AUD, SFX, AVI or SEQ (depending on if Windows or DOS) folders. *.MAP files. I am not sure if ScummVM uses SIERRA.ERR, though I expect not as it contained error messages that the original interpreter used.

It is almost easier to cite what is not needed, *EXE, *DRV, .TXT, RESOURCE.CFG INSTALL.*

The floppy version does not have as many different resources, but the main resource archive needs to be concatenated and the RESOURCE.SFX needs to be expanded.
adamo

Post by adamo »

Thank you both for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I can't seem to make it work. Every time I try scummvm tells me "error running game: game data not found."
The floppy version does not have as many different resources, but the main resource archive needs to be concatenated and the RESOURCE.SFX needs to be expanded.
Collector, did you mean that only the floppy version needs to be concatenated. Or do I need to do that for the cd version too? I don't know how to do that - maybe that's me problem? (I can figure out how to expand the resource.sfx but that doesn't seem necessary because all the files seem to be in one of the other folders).
Collector

Post by Collector »

Just the floppy. You need to install the game before you can use ScummVM to run it. If you have 64-bit Windows you will need to use DOSBox to do so. You can also use my installer.

http://sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/N ... ers.html#G

If you still want to use ScummVM, just point it to the installed folder.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

"If you still want to use ScummVM"? I assume that he does, since he came to our forums to ask.

DOSbox is a great program, and your installers are great too, but we are trying our best to make ScummVM a friendly and easy to use program, too.

We could add support for the original split floppy files, too. What kind of compression is used for resource.sfx?
Collector

Post by Collector »

I am obviously not advocating against the use of ScummVM. I only said "If you still want to use ScummVM" because if he used my installer it would already be playable, if that was his only goal. If he wants to explore ScummVM's SCI development, he would simply need to point ScummVM to the folder after using the installer.

I am not sure as to how to tell what compression is used. I know that you don't want game data exchanged, but I could give you the AUDDCOMP.EXE it uses to decompress it. I would like to get more information about it, myself. This also often used to decompresses the RESOURCE.AUD in some of the later floppy SCI games. Sierra also used a AUDDCOMP.EXE that was a self extracting archive of the RESOURCE.AUD. The RESOURCE.000 is split across 10 floppies, each named RESOURCE.000, so renaming would be required on the user's part.
adamo

Post by adamo »

I finally got it working. After trying both the gog installer and a manual install through dosbox I wasn't sure that Collector's installer would work. And at first it didn't. Turns out that I totally forgot that the laptop I was on was running a stable build and not a daily build. Duh. As soon as I switched over and used a dev build I got it running just fine. I even tested it out using the other two methods I mentioned above and they worked too.

So thanks for all the help. To recap for anyone else who is here trying to figure out how to run GK1:

1) Make sure you are running a daily build of ScummVM
2) Install the game using either Collector's installer (my recommendation), a manual dosbox installation of the game, or the gog installer (if that is the version you have)
3) point scummvm to the directory where you installed the game.

Oh, and to md5, yes I wanted to use it on ScummVM. I am planning on getting this running on my Nexus 7. I do realize that I could run it on dosbox on the tablet, but I'd rather use scummvm. So my next project is get a dev build on the tablet and see if I can get it working well.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

Does v1.6.0 contain the patches used to get GK1 running by the writers above? I tried the steps above, but I just keep getting the "game data not found". Hopefuly I am doing something wrong and GOG's GK1 is playable on ScummVM somehow. I am aiming for it to run on my S3. But no luck yet even with the win32 version.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

icanntspell wrote:Does v1.6.0 contain the patches used to get GK1 running by the writers above? I tried the steps above, but I just keep getting the "game data not found". Hopefuly I am doing something wrong and GOG's GK1 is playable on ScummVM somehow. I am aiming for it to run on my S3. But no luck yet even with the win32 version.
Gabriel Knight is not supported in 1.6.0.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

icanntspell wrote:Does v1.6.0 contain the patches used to get GK1 running by the writers above? I tried the steps above, but I just keep getting the "game data not found". Hopefuly I am doing something wrong and GOG's GK1 is playable on ScummVM somehow. I am aiming for it to run on my S3. But no luck yet even with the win32 version.
You'll need to use the daily builds (or compile yourself) in order to play GK1 in ScummVM. It actually works alright, but is still a bit buggy.

I think (not sure as I don't have that version, going by hearsay) that the GoG version puts all the data in a compressed ISO type thing. Try extracting that with something like 7zip, or mounting it with a program like daemon tools and see if you can get at the actual game data files, which are what ScummVM needs to run the game. Or, if the GoG version does contain all the actual data files and folders, just point ScummVM to the directory and it should work.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

KuroShiro wrote:You'll need to use the daily builds (or compile yourself) in order to play GK1 in ScummVM. It actually works alright, but is still a bit buggy.

I think (not sure as I don't have that version, going by hearsay) that the GoG version puts all the data in a compressed ISO type thing. Try extracting that with something like 7zip, or mounting it with a program like daemon tools and see if you can get at the actual game data files, which are what ScummVM needs to run the game. Or, if the GoG version does contain all the actual data files and folders, just point ScummVM to the directory and it should work.
I bought the GOG version indeed, and did manage to extract the data. However, trying to get daily builds on android is too much for me. I'll have to wait patiently for an official release with GK1 support I suppose.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

icanntspell wrote:I bought the GOG version indeed, and did manage to extract the data. However, trying to get daily builds on android is too much for me. I'll have to wait patiently for an official release with GK1 support I suppose.
It's actually surprisingly easy. First get the daily build here. Put all the .apk files in the archive somewhere on your device. Then just remove the version of ScummVM and all the plugins you currently have on your phone/tablet/whatever, and reinstall using the .apk files you copied.
icanntspell

Post by icanntspell »

Indeed, that wasn't so hard :) Thanks for the help! Works great!
PearlChoco

Post by PearlChoco »

Am I the only one who can't get subtitles with the CD version? I can get subtitles with the non-talkie disk version, but I'd like to have both simultaneously!

edit: NM, got it :)