Developing a game using Scumm

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Haring

Developing a game using Scumm

Post by Haring »

Hello,
i have to create a Virtual world in Java for a university project. The professor said to us that Scumm interfaces can help to develop the graphics of the our virtual world, but i don't understand how to use Scumm for supporting the creation of the game :?
Do i have to make interact the interfaces with my code? Or do i have to use a Scumm language encapsulated in my java code?
Thanks
Graxer

Post by Graxer »

I can't be certain, but it kind of sounds like he wasn't referring to SCUMM in the sense that it is used here. SCUMM (Script Creation Utility for Maniac Mansion) itself is just the engine LucasArts created and used, mostly in the 80s and 90s, to develop point and click adventure games. I can't really see how it would relate to the graphics for a virtual world being created in Java. Did he specifically say that the ScummVM project was related?

On the top of my head I can only think that he may have said Scrum. (Which is a group software development method) This is probably unrelated though, as it has nothing in particular to do with graphics.

As I said though, I can't be certain. If it does turn out to be something else I would be curious to know what that is.
Haring

Post by Haring »

i post you what the professor wrote for explaining the graphics interface:
"In the GUI version, the location must have its graphical display, even spartan and / or schematic (for example, grid view, using the pulldown menu, etc..), Including the objects and characters in the room. The controls of the player must be on the screen, selectable and combinable with objects and characters so
to form an action to perform (for an example, see the interfaces SCUMM: http:// www.scummvm.org)."
he wrote exactly the URL of this site. Now i don't know how to do that :?
ezekiel000

Post by ezekiel000 »

Your professor has said to look at how scumm games work as in screen layout and object interaction. Not to actually use scumm or scummvm in your project.
Freddo

Post by Freddo »

ezekiel000 wrote:Your professor has said to look at how scumm games work as in screen layout and object interaction. Not to actually use scumm or scummvm in your project.
Exactly.

Haring, take a look at the middle screenshot here, with clear boxes that offer player options to the left and inventory boxes to the right, all organized neatly into a grid view.

So you're not supposed to use any ScummVM code or anything, just be inspired on how the user-interface could work for the project you're working on. Kinda like this playable job application a guy made earlier this year, copying the SCUMM style but it's not actually using SCUMM, although this particular little thing only use dialogues and no item interaction.
Haring

Post by Haring »

Thank you a lot!! :) I thought I had to use Scumm in my project like a support for the game. I misunderstand it. I had understood how to offer player options and all that things but I thought I had to do it with Scumm script or something.
I've seen the playable job application now I have a complete idea to how to do everything, I don't think it will be easy :P
Thank again for helping :D