PocketScumm on Gizmondo

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's PocketPC/HandheldPC port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

spoonatron

PocketScumm on Gizmondo

Post by spoonatron »

Hello there.

I have managed to get PocketScumm to work on the Gizmondo handheld device. Using Remote Desktop I was able to successfully load up and play Flight of the Amazon Queen (floppy version).

Since the Gizmondo is basically a PocketPc, it runs PocketScumm very well. However, since it does not have a touchscreen, it cannot be used properly without the Remote Desktop running on a standard PC.

I was just wondering if anyone has any information on how to remap the controls for the cursor to the Gizmondo's direction pad? I've downloaded the sourcecode but my programming knowledge in C/C++ is not that great, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

For more information visit www.gizmondoforums.com. We've just managed to get homebrew working and PocketScumm would be greatly appreciated by the community :D
knakos
ScummVM Porter

Post by knakos »

This is very interesting. The current architecture permits either PocketPC control set or Smartphone control set at runtime. What you need is to instantiate the Smartphone control set on a device that gets recognized as Pocket PC. I will certainly look into this. You may expect something soon.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

I'd be interested to see any developments for this because I've just managed to get a Gizmondo for £40 (or around 60€). First impressions are it's a nice little console, I haven't unlocked it but I will as soon as I get another SD card.
spoonatron

Post by spoonatron »

Thanks for the replies. I look forward to any updates that may arise in the future :)

Jimbob, have you joined gizmondoforums? There's lots of useful information on the Gizmondo there.
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

spoonatron wrote: Jimbob, have you joined gizmondoforums? There's lots of useful information on the Gizmondo there.
Yes, but I haven't posted/done anything yet. My Giz is still locked until I get my hands on an SD card around Easter time. I want to start writing some programs for it but I'm unsure whether I'll be able to compile stuff on my Mac (as I don't have a Windows machine). The first thing on my list is try to tinker with the GPS capabilities of the machine as the Co-Pilot software is like gold dust.

I'm also trying to find a way for my Mac to recognise the Giz when I connect it using USB and I've got all my fingers crossed that someone will figure out how to unlock the Bluetooth.

EDIT: Out of interest, which version of PocketSCUMM did you download from www.scummvm.org?
Last edited by Jimbob on Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spoonatron

Post by spoonatron »

I've tried the Windows Mobile 5 ARM package, but someone else on the forums tried the PocketPC 2002 ARM package and reported that it also works.

Not sure about getting the Giz working on a Mac, unless there's a version of Microsoft ActiveSync available. The Giz only works with ActiveSync on a PC. I think some people are working on the bluetooth thing so fingers crossed :)