ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > Return of the Tentacle
Return of the Tentacle
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
Spellbreaker

Return of the Tentacle 

Hey there!

Because I guess most of you are Adventure-gamers, I want to make a small announcement here about our Project, I hope thats okay Smile

The Project "Return of the Tentacle" is still in development, we're making great progress, and we hope that we can release a great video very soon, and a greater demo soon Smile Team is still the same, working hard getting everything done in the right dott-way Wink

We have some great Artists, including Marvin "purpur" Hribsek and Simon "10tacleboy" Thomaschke . It's a pleasure to see how lovely the original Mansion locations have been redone in 1024x768. Also the never-seen-before-brand-new locations are looking great Smile

Then there's David "Absynth:[Dave]" Schornsheim, who made great work re-interpreting some of the original Music Score. He also makes Story, Dialogues and Puzzle Design.

I simply do scripts, always trying to keep the look & feel of the original Game. (Yes, there's a verb interface Wink

I joined the Project in the End of 2010, and I think I can say were working very hard on it, and the Project is growing from day to day Smile There'll be *at least* english and german languages available.

It would also be cool if you would like us on Facebook Smile Or donate some stuff Wink

More Info:

Return of the Tentacle Project Page on Apeiron Studios

Facebook :

Apeiron Studos - Click here!
Return of the Tentacle - Click here!

Here you can see...

.... some Screenshots

.... a little Video of WiP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5ZRRPmw2Sw&feature=player_embedded

.... some other Stuff at the Homepage of the Project:

http://www.returnofthetentacle.de

Sincerly,

Spellbreaker

Post Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:02 pm 
Strangerke
ScummVM Developer

Very nice!

I noticed that you are using the WME engine... Could you tell us if it's running using the WME Lite engine, or if the full Wintermute is require?

Just to make things clear: we may have a GSoC task this year about adding WME Lite support to ScummVM, so your announcement is *really* coming at the best moment Smile

Best regards,
Strangerke

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:46 pm 
Spellbreaker

Actually full WME is needed for RotT to work. Reasons are simple:

1. WME Lite does not support any Video Playback.

2. WME Lite does not support PlugIns. But I developed one I need, which is aMUSE ( ya know Wink, to have some Music effects that WME cannot do by itself.

So: Sorry Smile. If you need a WME Lite Game for testing, you should contact the Developer of Five Magical Amulets. The Game is available for purchase on the AppStore.

Greets,

Spellbreaker Smile

Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:55 pm 
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

quote:
Originally posted by Spellbreaker
1. WME Lite does not support any Video Playback.

We'll almost definitely add video support ourselves.

There's no shortage of WME Lite games, just obviously there are going to be users asking for support of your game in ScummVM, and it would be nice to have it. Oh well. Smile
Post Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:39 pm 
Spellbreaker

So, if you really get Video Playback running on WME Lite, I would absolutely port the game to WME Lite. ( e.g. 1024x768 resolution, and dropping some music effects due to the wme amuse plugin).

Post Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:35 pm 
fischkopf

We already have a thread on this created by the author of the game himself. Razz

http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=8661

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23 pm 
Spellbreaker

Actually I am the author of the game Wink But i did not know that the other guy, who actually is the GFX Artist, already created a thread. Maybe I should have used the search function first Smile

Sorry for that ! Smile

Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:33 pm 
fischkopf

quote:
Actually I am the author of the game Wink But i did not know that the other guy, who actually is the GFX Artist, already created a thread. Maybe I should have used the search function first Smile

Sorry for that ! Smile

whoops sorry. Embarassed

You're awesome by the way. Very Happy
Post Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:07 pm 
purple

Lol what's going on here, that came a bit too early for April Fool.

quote:
Actually I am the author of the game Wink [...]the other guy, who actually is the GFX Artist[...]

Since when do you have taken over the project? That's news to me.

You're the (presumptuous) programmer and Dave and I, as the project leaders, admitted you in our team.
Post Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:57 pm 
purple

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlbIVzwO1zw

Post Fri May 18, 2012 11:05 pm 
JamesWoodcock

Looks really impressive and a very faithful style used. Personally I would have ditched the old fashioned text interactive controls such as open, pick-up etc but otherwise a very thoughtful and faithful take Smile

Has LucasArts given permission for this, I only ask as I would hate it to be stopped as it's released otherwise? Sad

Post Sat May 19, 2012 4:18 pm 
purple

Thank you very much! Smile

Well, we never asked for it and we're not even in contact with them, so in that way there's no official permission.
But there are lots of unofficial LA-games and they never complained about it.

Post Sun May 20, 2012 12:39 am 
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Hi I'm the guy doing the wintermute-port for ScummVM as GSoC this summer.

quote:
So, if you really get Video Playback running on WME Lite, I would absolutely port the game to WME Lite. ( e.g. 1024x768 resolution, and dropping some music effects due to the wme amuse plugin).

Given the current progress, I'm quite sure that movie-playback will be integrated along with the rest of the engine, perhaps even some more of the removed features from Wintermute.

Now, plugins as plugins are not doable for ScummVM, as ScummVM is supposed to be quite portable. BUT, that doesn't mean the end, I can always integrate whatever plugins people have used into the engine in some way, as long as I can get the source code for the plugin (and that source code released under GPLv2).

I don't really know if there are other roadblocks for compatibility, as I haven't tested a wide range of games against WME Lite yet (nor compared them to WME full). The only other one I can come up with, is using system fonts, those won't be available on most platforms ScummVM runs on, so your game should preferably contain it's own fonts in the data files.
Post Fri May 25, 2012 8:46 pm 
somaen
ScummVM Developer

I got a bit bored yesterday, while looking into some rendering errors, so...

Well, you can keep your videos:

That's the intro video from the J.U.L.I.A.-demo playing inside ScummVM, Theora-support is now working, atleast for FMVs, I haven't gotten around to testing them for Entity-objects yet, although the code is there.

Do note that this is still a WIP-screenshot, the video doesn't blank the lines around it (and I haven't had time to see how it's supposed to look).

Another thing I learned from starting up J.U.L.I.A. was that the particle system still seems to work, with no additional effort from my side.

That should leave sprite mirroring (which I have code for, but no test case for yet, if anyone knows of one, please tell), rotation and aMuse for RotT to be compatible. (well, there's still a lot of work left with the basic stuff in the engine too, but the feature set is getting closer to what you need atleast).

Post Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:47 pm 
purple

WOW, thanks for the info.
I'm really looking forward to that. Smile
Gotta inform my team colleagues now.

Post Wed Jun 13, 2012 10:14 am 
Reply to topic