What about Java...?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

innoveware

Post by innoveware »

joostp wrote:Well, to be fair, the version that the author sent me a long time ago did run BASS somewhat (in a specific browser with a specific JVM), so it definitely isn't vaporware.
The project seems to be dead now, though.
That's right, BASS was working inside a Java Applet for several screens. It was an attempt at "porting/translating" from ScummVM C/C++ sources to Java and a fun project.
The project is not really dead but the hosting blog is... :(

However, I started working again on ScummCott, this time focusing on Gobliins. There are not too much code to rewrite in Java but this is pure C (C++ is usually easier to port). As for now, there is nothing to see yet (unless sprite dumps).
You can see my work on http://www.innoveware.com.

Given the amount of time I usually spent to "port/translate/rewrite" from C to Java, I do not really want to release source code, especially since it is not finished yet. What is more, Java applets usually interest many webmasters that just steal other people work (ScummVM and ScummCott in this case) to make money out of it.
However, as soon as I have a working beta, I will put it online on the site with the Gobliins demo disc.

Regarding the "port" issue, I would say there are things that I really port to Java like all system calls (timer, blit, etc.). Everything else is just a rewrite or direct copy/paste from C to Java.

Regards,
Gollum
Last edited by innoveware on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
innoveware

Post by innoveware »

fingolfin wrote:Well, but what sev said still holds true: ScummCott isn't a port, it's a new thing written from scratch but taking ideas and information from ScummVM. As such, comparing it to the proper ports is really like comparing Appples and Oranges...
Actually not, this does is a direct source code translation work from ScummVM. This is not a new project from scratch, all credits should go to the original ScummVM sources. This is really like ScummVM rewritten in Java (well partially as not everything is ported/translated yet).

For people that are interested, I put two versions of my sources and binaries on my site: the first one there is BASS intro working, the second one there is BASS ingame working and initial work on FOTAQ and SIMON.
[Links removed as they currently violate ScummVM GPL license].

Regards,
Gollum
Last edited by innoveware on Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

innoveware wrote:Athis does is a direct source code translation work from ScummVM. This is not a new project from scratch, all credits should go to the original ScummVM sources.
Then please, release all source codes under GPL or stop distributing the binaries. You're robbing us by violating GPL license.

Eugene
innoveware

Post by innoveware »

sev wrote:
innoveware wrote:Athis does is a direct source code translation work from ScummVM. This is not a new project from scratch, all credits should go to the original ScummVM sources.
Then please, release all source codes under GPL or stop distributing the binaries. You're robbing us by violating GPL license.

Eugene
Hi Eugene,

I have no problem with this.
Since I actually did not release any sources or binaries yet (unless the two files above that I posted for people interested in seing my Java "port" approach), there was no real "robbery".

I just removed the binaries from the site and will make sure to release all sources under GPL in the near future. I am updating my web site http://www.innoveware.com about this issue.

Best regards,
Gollum
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

A port would include creating a C++ compiler that outputs Java bytecode. Technically possible, but somewhat outside our scope :D
Herrscher

Post by Herrscher »

sev wrote:
Mhhhh... of course he can't do a 1:1 transfer from C/C++ to Java, even if the syntax is very comparable, the APIs aren't and programming approach also isn't (interfaces vs. multiple-inheritance, generics vs. templates, etc.).

So is this REALLY violating the GPL as it is nonetheless a more or less complete rewrite??

Just being curious here. :idea:

I'm also interesting in a J2ME rewrite for some of the low-tech games (MM, ZMKATAM, BASS).

Vinterstum wrote:A port would include creating a C++ compiler that outputs Java bytecode. Technically possible, but somewhat outside our scope :D
Hmmm... isn't the gcc build system supposed to do this?! They have a modular backend/frontend system and can even compile Java source to native binaries, so I'd guess C++ to Java bytecode would also be possible... :?:
Robo-X

Post by Robo-X »

Is this still being worked on or is it just another vaporware? The ScummCott is being listed as active but no news about it since june 2006 and no source to download and test.

//Rob
tgcujo

Post by tgcujo »

Can I please have the one that can play beneath a steel sky(partily)
JUst the .jar or whatever not the source.
Thanks

the scummcott website link just brings me back to the home page.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, why do you ask for the JAR *here* ? Ask the ScummCott author! We have no affiliation or relation with that project in any way, and as such asking about it here or asking for help for it etc. simply isn't appropriate, nor is it going to work :-)
Vinterstum
ScummVM Developer

Post by Vinterstum »

Herrscher wrote:
Hmmm... isn't the gcc build system supposed to do this?! They have a modular backend/frontend system and can even compile Java source to native binaries, so I'd guess C++ to Java bytecode would also be possible... :?:

Technically possible, but as far as I know not a lot of work has been done in this area. And given the flexibility of C++, making an accurate bytecode representation may not be too easy either (there's often a lot of pointer manipulation going on, which can get tricky).

Now, making a port to the .NET Framework would be a lot simpler, since there's already a compiler for this (Managed C++). Maybe not too useful, as we already have ports for anything that runs .NET, but... :).
voldemarlazarev

Post by voldemarlazarev »

There is a cibyl:

"Cibyl uses GCC to compile the C programs to MIPS binaries, and these are then recompiled into Java bytecode."

Maybe it can use G++ to do that...

http://spel.bth.se/index.php/Cibyl
JBerto

Post by JBerto »

Any update?

I've another "non-symbian" java mobile phone (LG KU990: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/ku990.jhtml) with a big (3") touch-screen. Now there are many non-symbian mobiles with big screens, perfect to play!, so i think a java port of ScummVM would be GREAT!!!
DarkArmada

Post by DarkArmada »

JBerto wrote:Any update?

I've another "non-symbian" java mobile phone (LG KU990: http://www.lge.com/products/model/detail/ku990.jhtml) with a big (3") touch-screen. Now there are many non-symbian mobiles with big screens, perfect to play!, so i think a java port of ScummVM would be GREAT!!!
A Java version of the ScummVM would be crazy good. I understand it's not just a flick of a switch...
okejokej

Post by okejokej »

Well since it's kinda a non-OS mobile phone topic, I won't make a new one. I wonder if it would be possible to port ScummVM to into called ELF files on Sony Ericsson(and Siemens phones, although these ELFs seem to be uncompatible with each other), which I believe are written in C/C++, so porting it maybe wouldn't be as complicated as to Java(and for sure would have smaller hardware requirements).

For Siemens ELFs there exist GBA, SNES and other platforms emulators, for SE for now just ZX Spectrum and I heard about C64, so I believe the capabilities of ELFs are quite promising.
hippy dave

Post by hippy dave »

i've thought about the possibility of elfs, and i don't know about for siemens phones, but for sony ericsson i think it's fair to say that the elf function library isn't mature enough yet - it won't support all the functions that a scummvm port would require.

i would imagine it to be theoretically possible, at least for some of the older scumm games, but i'm not convinced it will ever really happen.

(for those who don't know but might be interested, the elfpack consists of a firmware patch for certain phones that allows them to run arbitrary executable elf files (native arm machine code, usually compiled from c/c++), which isn't otherwise possible on these phones. they also use an ever-growing library file which is a list of offsets to functions in the original firmware, so these functions can be used by the elf programs.)