What about Java...?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Mueschaking

What about Java...?

Post by Mueschaking »

Hi there,
I just saw that you made a Symbian-Port for the new release...well, I don't have a clue about the technical possibilities of Java, but my Mobile-Phone has no Symbian, only Java..it would be so cool to be able to play the old stuff on it:-)! Have you ever thought of a Java-Port?
Greetings, Mike
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

That's same question as "would it be possible to reprint Shakespeare in Chinese?". I.e port as such is not possible but a complete rewrite. Java is different language than C++.

Eugene
scholt

Post by scholt »

hi,

i've seen other cool adventure games for java handys. i don't want to spam so try google search for "Amys Adventure" looks cool so far, can't wait until i could play it.
scholt

Post by scholt »

:D i don't want to spam but look at what i just found:klick me looks like scummvm adventures perhaps this is compatible? or there is a mobile version of monkey island, does somebody know more :?:
clem

Post by clem »

I don't think anybody goes into the trouble of rewriting monkey island for mobile phones... plus Lucasarts seems to have forgotten about those games :-(
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

try googeling for scummcott
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

clem wrote:I don't think anybody goes into the trouble of rewriting monkey island for mobile phones... plus Lucasarts seems to have forgotten about those games :-(
We just recently got a letter from LucasArts legal department. They most definitely have not "forgotten" those games...
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

E-Male wrote:try googeling for scummcott
So... a guy who talks about a Java emulator for SCUMM, BASS, FOTAQ... last updated in May 2004, and no downloads that I could manage to find...

But if you have any more specific links, please post 'em ...
clem

Post by clem »

"forgotten" in the sense that they are apparently neither keen on re-issuing those games or any other attempt to make them available on new platforms.

I know that they're pretty timid about copyright still.
joostp
ScummVM Developer

Post by joostp »

fingolfin wrote:So... a guy who talks about a Java emulator for SCUMM, BASS, FOTAQ... last updated in May 2004, and no downloads that I could manage to find...

But if you have any more specific links, please post 'em ...
Well, to be fair, the version that the author sent me a long time ago did run BASS somewhat (in a specific browser with a specific JVM), so it definitely isn't vaporware.
The project seems to be dead now, though.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Oh I didn't say it's vaporware -- I am merely arguing the usefullness of googling for this "ScummCott" thing based on my own attempts in doing so... :-).

It's a shame there is no public source code available, though. Considering he obviously closely based his work on the ScummVM source.
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

i didn't make any statement on the usability

i just wanted to bring up the name, so you see there is (was?) such a project going on
but it is by far not as easy as the c++ ports
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Well, but what sev said still holds true: ScummCott isn't a port, it's a new thing written from scratch but taking ideas and information from ScummVM. As such, comparing it to the proper ports is really like comparing Appples and Oranges...
E-Male

Post by E-Male »

"port" is a matter of definition

of course using a different language is different from makign chanegs to work on a different system
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

E-Male wrote:"port" is a matter of definition

of course using a different language is different from makign chanegs to work on a different system
No, no and no.

From Wikipedia:
In computer science, porting is the adaptation of a piece of software so that it will function in a different computing environment to that for which it was originally written.
adaptation is when you change something, not every single line as it would be in case of translating it into another language.

Eugene