Über-Android-Noob seeking wisdom.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gus_Bofa

Über-Android-Noob seeking wisdom.

Post by Gus_Bofa »

Hi there!

Having lived a part of my life in the company of a shitty old cellphone,
the time has now come for me to modernize my living by buying a smartphone.
Is this some form of peer pressure, the will to conform? Maybe.
But most of all it's the will to play Day Of The Tentacle at work.

So, just how open Android is anyway? is ScummVM easy to install on this system,
or does it require some trickeries and subterfuges, like the PSP or DS versions?

And how's the emulation in general anyway? And the controls?
Is it worth it already, or does it still need some work done?

Thanks in advance for enlightening me.
KuroShiro

Post by KuroShiro »

ScummVM is very easy to install on Android -- v1.4.0 is on the marketplace and will install with no trouble, although you also need to install the many 'plugins' to get each individual engine to work. They're all on the market too.

In terms of openness... well, that depends how deep into it you are willing to delve. It's relatively easy to make it completely open (i.e. give yourself root access), as there are various programs out there that will do it with minimal fuss. TBH though there's not a lot of great reasons to do so. Some unofficial applications require it, but I've never felt the need.

As far as I can tell ScummVM Android can run any game that normal ScummVM can, as Android phones (particularly recent ones) have quite powerful hardware. The touch screen controls work similarly to a laptop trackpad -- the cursor moves with your finger, not directly to where you touch on the screen. The keyboard built into most Android devices is integrated into ScummVM.
sambartle

Post by sambartle »

I'm just happy that Toonstruck appears to work fine so far on my Android (a not particularly High-end Acer Liquid Metal) proving that you really dont need an uber expensive android device to use ScummVM either..

It's awesome! I've not played it since 96 as I bought it on release!

I'd forgotten just how good it is.
Gus_Bofa

Post by Gus_Bofa »

Thanks KuroShiro!

Another question : did anyone here try ScummVM on the Samsung Galaxy Note?
If so, how good are the controls/display?
Clerk Kent

Post by Clerk Kent »

I use a Toshiba Thrive and more or less know nothing about ScummVM so when I started out using it, I wasn't sure what files I would need to copy from my original PC discs etc, but after finding the documentation and trying it out, it all worked fine and doesn't take long to figure out how to use. That being said, there are imperfections;
sambartle wrote:I'm just happy that Toonstruck appears to work fine so far on my Android (a not particularly High-end Acer Liquid Metal) proving that you really dont need an uber expensive android device to use ScummVM either..

It's awesome! I've not played it since 96 as I bought it on release!

I'd forgotten just how good it is.
I love Toonstruck too and have reached a point in the game where I need to examine an inventory item, but the touch controls don't appear to have an examine button mapped in, so it looks as though I can't progress any further. Some people have also had issues with Monkey island 3 but there does appear to be a touch control mapped for accessing inventory - it's just a bit obscure. Other than niggling control issues like this, which I hope beyond hope will get updated and fixed, ScummVM is probably the best application I have on my tablet.