Jouneyman Project Pegasus Prime

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

Darn! Thanks for your trouble checking anyway.
Avatrunei

Post by Avatrunei »

I want you to know that I beat Pegasus Prime, without any noteworthy bugs to report. Playing has been 99.99% smooth and without problems. Some lags here and there which didn't annoy me and I don't think the original Mac play would be better. I didn't notice the bugs Monster mentioned, and I could beat the Norad robot both ways.

One minor note: The online help says that the chip inventory is brought up with the Del key. Well it didn't work here, and I had to open it with the * key (keypad only) which was a bit less convenient on my keyboard. It would be nice if we could open the chip inventory with the Del key as well.

Also, I have the impression that when you press Esc on the Mac you see the menu with some ambient music. For some reason there was no music when I brought up the menu, dunno why. It should be good if the music was heard.

Again, congrats for the work, Clone.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Avatrunei wrote:One minor note: The online help says that the chip inventory is brought up with the Del key. Well it didn't work here, and I had to open it with the * key (keypad only) which was a bit less convenient on my keyboard. It would be nice if we could open the chip inventory with the Del key as well.
Delete on a Mac is really backspace. Try that instead.
Avatrunei wrote:Also, I have the impression that when you press Esc on the Mac you see the menu with some ambient music. For some reason there was no music when I brought up the menu, dunno why. It should be good if the music was heard.
Because it's more in-line with ScummVM pausing with pausing all sound.
wstrohm

Newbie In-Game Puzzle Problem

Post by wstrohm »

Playing the 4-CD version of Pegasus Prime on a PPC PowerMac G5, running Mac OS 10.4.11 in Classic mode.

Cannot beat the attacking robot puzzle using the loading arm in the sub bay. Problem seems to be a bug with the arm controls:

1) All controls are dim while the robot advances and prepares to attack.
2) Only the "down" segment of the "Move" circle lights as the robot moves toward me.
3) Pressing that moves the arm to the robot.
4) The "Grab" control lights and may or may not grab when pressed.
5) The "Move" circle stays dim and the robot kills me, even if he has been "grabbed."

My impression is that another control must be used after "Grab," but nothing is lit on the control panel so can do nothing.

Any help? Thanks! No other problems with the game so far.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

@wstrohm: No, you're missing a step, it's not a bug.

Of course, one must ask why you'd ask here if you're playing in classic mode. Why don't you try playing with a daily build of ScummVM? :)
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Does the forthcoming [re?]release of the game (http://thejourneymanproject.com/)have anything to do with ScummVM and/or will it have an impact if not?
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

No, you're missing a step, it's not a bug.

Of course, one must ask why you'd ask here if you're playing in classic mode. Why don't you try playing with a daily build of ScummVM?
There doesn't seem to be any other step possible. The control panel does nothing unless a segment is lit. No seqments are lit except "Move/Down" and "Grab," and once "Grab" is clicked, "Move Down" goes off and nothing else comes on, therefore no other arm action is possible. This is peculiar, since I also have the original Journeyman Project CD, and playing that, was able to manipulate the robot following "Grab."

Could this have something to do with my G5 being a 2.7 GHz dual-CPU computer? Should I turn off CPU 2?

I'm here because this is the only Pegasus Prime forum I can find, period, "scummy" or otherwise! If there is a better place to post, please let me know of an active URL!

Thanks for your reply.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:There doesn't seem to be any other step possible. The control panel does nothing unless a segment is lit. No seqments are lit except "Move/Down" and "Grab," and once "Grab" is clicked, "Move Down" goes off and nothing else comes on, therefore no other arm action is possible. This is peculiar, since I also have the original Journeyman Project CD, and playing that, was able to manipulate the robot following "Grab."

Could this have something to do with my G5 being a 2.7 GHz dual-CPU computer? Should I turn off CPU 2?

I'm here because this is the only Pegasus Prime forum I can find, period, "scummy" or otherwise! If there is a better place to post, please let me know of an active URL!
You should be able to move the arm to the right after grabbing the robot.

You kind of avoided my question about using ScummVM -- why don't you try using this build. Even your save files can be imported: rename them as "pegasus-<save name>.sav" and put them in the "ScummVM Savegames" folder under ~/Documents. You'd be doing me a huge favor, not to mention you'd be playing natively instead of emulating OS9 :)
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

You should be able to move the arm to the right after grabbing the robot.

You kind of avoided my question about using ScummVM -- why don't you try using this build. Even your save files can be imported: rename them as "pegasus-<save name>.sav" and put them in the "ScummVM Savegames" folder under ~/Documents. You'd be doing me a huge favor, not to mention you'd be playing natively instead of emulating OS9
To move the arm to the right, the "Move/Right" segment of the control panel has to be lit... which it is not.

Considering I have no idea what ScummVM really is (I take it you are porting or re-coding various obsolete games to modern computer systems), and considering I have a fresh copy of Pegasus Prime by Presto/BDE in hand, I would just like to be able to play through what I have. Of course I understand that Classic on the PPC Mac "emulates" OS 9.22, but my point is that the game runs well, except for the tedium of changing CDs constantly.

I did download your app via your link, and I appreciate the gift. If it would indeed help you in some way, I will open it and see what happens.

Thanks again for your replies!
wstrohm

"ScummVM.app"

Post by wstrohm »

"ScummVM.app" opens and I get an active window. I clicked "Add" and got my navigation window. I attempted to add games, but was successful only with Riven, which seems to play fine, at least from the intro through the first part of the game. I did not attempt to save the game.

I got the "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory" message for all others I tried to "Add." These games were: Myst Masterpiece, Legacy of Time, Obsidian, Pegasus Prime, Snood, Starship Titanic, The Dig, and Timescape - The Journey to Pompeii. All of these games are on my hard disk in my "Games - OS9" folder, and all play under Classic on this computer.

I did expect Pegasus Prime to be recognized...???
clone2727
Retired

Re: "ScummVM.app"

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:"ScummVM.app" opens and I get an active window. I clicked "Add" and got my navigation window. I attempted to add games, but was successful only with Riven, which seems to play fine, at least from the intro through the first part of the game. I did not attempt to save the game.

I got the "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory" message for all others I tried to "Add."
Make sure you point it towards the "PP Data" folder with "JMP PP Resources" in it.
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

This (normal) installation of PP does not contain the PP Data folder on my hard disk. I found it on Disc #1, and with Disc 1 in the drive and recognized, ScummVM does recognize and open PP properly if I click on the PP Data folder on the CD-ROM. I ran the initial portion of the game in Agent 5's apartment and it runs and saves properly. Reloading that saved game does work also.

I'm guessing that the saved games in Classic are in a different format from those in ScummVM. Is there a way to transfer those games into ScummVM? I would like to see whether the loading arm control panel acts differently in ScummVM from when played in Classic.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:This (normal) installation of PP does not contain the PP Data folder on my hard disk. I found it on Disc #1, and with Disc 1 in the drive and recognized, ScummVM does recognize and open PP properly if I click on the PP Data folder on the CD-ROM. I ran the initial portion of the game in Agent 5's apartment and it runs and saves properly. Reloading that saved game does work also.
You'll need to merge the four "PP Data" folders from the four discs (they're hidden) -- we don't support disc swapping.
wstrohm wrote:I'm guessing that the saved games in Classic are in a different format from those in ScummVM. Is there a way to transfer those games into ScummVM? I would like to see whether the loading arm control panel acts differently in ScummVM from when played in Classic.
All you have to do is copy the files to "~/Documents/ScummVM savegames" and rename your files to "pegasus-<original file name>.sav".
wstrohm

Post by wstrohm »

Thanks for your advice. I think "We don't support disc swapping" should be "spun" to say "We support game play without disc swapping." That is extremely important to me! I had tried many ways before ScummVM (mounted virtual disc images, "merging" files onto my hard disk, etc.) with no luck at all. PP insisted I install Disc 1, and always had to swap discs, no matter how many files were on my hard disk.

After "merging" (manually transferring) all required files from the CD-ROMs to my hard disk, opening "ScummVM.app" and selecting Pegasus Prime in its game list opened PP without demanding I insert Disc 1.

This is the first time I have been able to play the game with no disc in my drive. The game transitions smoothly from one time period/location to another without asking for anything.

Instead of importing my old saved games from the original PP, I started from the beginning using ScummVM and have played through, saving games along the way, to the robot attack sequence in the NORAD Delta Section. Unfortunately I run into the same brick wall. All of the control panel segments go off once I "grab" the robot. Although he is indeed grabbed, he kills me anyway, and I have no alternative action that I can find. So ScummVM does not help in that respect.

One other annoying item regarding this game: If energy is low and I return to the Pegasus for a "recharge," jumping back again to the same time/location reverts me to the beginning of that "age" instead of back to where I left off. And if I am down to less than 25%, I die. This makes playing the game much harder. I have yet to complete it.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

wstrohm wrote:Instead of importing my old saved games from the original PP, I started from the beginning using ScummVM and have played through, saving games along the way, to the robot attack sequence in the NORAD Delta Section. Unfortunately I run into the same brick wall. All of the control panel segments go off once I "grab" the robot. Although he is indeed grabbed, he kills me anyway, and I have no alternative action that I can find. So ScummVM does not help in that respect.
I've played through this segment many times and have had no problem. Please provide screenshots of exactly what you're doing. EDIT: As soon as the buttons highlight, press the "down" button on the screen and then as soon as you can use the claw, then use the "right" button. Don't wait for an action to happen.
wstrohm wrote:One other annoying item regarding this game: If energy is low and I return to the Pegasus for a "recharge," jumping back again to the same time/location reverts me to the beginning of that "age" instead of back to where I left off. And if I am down to less than 25%, I die. This makes playing the game much harder. I have yet to complete it.
It's working here where the energy gets reset to full. You should have two hours each time (unless your energy is drained from an external force).