Version 1.4- Why Split ???

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mallik

Version 1.4- Why Split ???

Post by mallik »

Hello!

The new Version is split into a dozends of Plugin Files.
The old Versions had all into one apk.
what´s this nonsense....?

Wen i will play my (big) Game Collection, i must install every
plugin-apk? :(

I understand this correctly?
fuzzie
ScummVM Developer

Re: Version 1.4- Why Split ???

Post by fuzzie »

mallik wrote:The new Version is split into a dozends of Plugin Files.

We've always done plugins, except for the 1.3.0 build, which was only on our download page (not on the Market) and was not widely used.

The problem is simple: A lot of devices - even ones released in 2011 - have a very limited amount of internal storage, and users using Android 2.2 and below (and users with hacked 2.3 ROMs) can only run native code like ScummVM if it is on the internal storage.

For a monolithic build of ScummVM, that is 15mb (and soon more and more) of internal storage required, which a lot of users don't have available.

Since most people don't install their whole game collection onto their phones, and you auto-update via the Market so you only have to install plugins once, providing a package for each plugin is what we've decided for now.
rubejb

Re: Version 1.4- Why Split ???

Post by rubejb »

fuzzie wrote:
mallik wrote:The new Version is split into a dozends of Plugin Files.

We've always done plugins, except for the 1.3.0 build, which was only on our download page (not on the Market) and was not widely used.

The problem is simple: A lot of devices - even ones released in 2011 - have a very limited amount of internal storage, and users using Android 2.2 and below (and users with hacked 2.3 ROMs) can only run native code like ScummVM if it is on the internal storage.

For a monolithic build of ScummVM, that is 15mb (and soon more and more) of internal storage required, which a lot of users don't have available.

Since most people don't install their whole game collection onto their phones, and you auto-update via the Market so you only have to install plugins once, providing a package for each plugin is what we've decided for now.
Yeah, I too would like to see an all-in-one package to make things easy to install and re-install when needed. But I'm in no way complaining. You have all done an amazing job of porting this over to Android.

Would it be possible to see two versions in the future? One with the plugins included and one like there is now where you select the plugins you want?

This could lead to more confusion for people overall and not be worth it, but just a thought.

Thanks again for the awesome app!
SuperDre

Post by SuperDre »

I just ran into the same problem..

Why not publish 2 versions to the market then, one with all the plugins, and the one without all the plugins.. OR make it an option in scummvm itself
I'm using a xoom and it just takes too much time to download all the plugins, not to mention all the 'uninstall' info.