BlackBerry PlayBook port?

Discussion about other and unofficial ports of ScummVM

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Waffles

BlackBerry PlayBook port?

Post by Waffles »

Anyone interested in this, besides me? :)

The NDK was released earlier this week, but I'm not at a level that I would be able to make any progress on my own, at least not anytime soon, and that's a big if.

https://bdsc.webapps.blackberry.com/native/

I'm an excellent artist, with a good understanding of programing in ActionScript 3, some Objective C, and also Android, and of course I know PHP, ASP, and JavaScript. But outside of using the C syntax, I've never built a project in C++, only compiled simple examples. I do have a book on C++ for dummies, but I'm only qualified for the ladder. :shock:

Anyways, I'd like to get this going, but as it looks HUGE to me, I'm not sure how I could help, let alone if anyone else besides me has a PlayBook? I have ScummVM on my Asus Transformer and Nexus One, along with a billion other devices, but I really would love to have it on the tablet I bring everywhere.

Hopefully this gets some interest. If anything, I'd love to redesign the GUI, which is one area I know in and out.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: BlackBerry PlayBook port?

Post by sev »

Waffles wrote: Anyways, I'd like to get this going, but as it looks HUGE to me
In fact it is not, and you will need only basic C++ understanding if you know C. I.e. you will not need to work on object model and whatnot but rather implement set of methods specified in common/system.h
Waffles wrote: Hopefully this gets some interest. If anything, I'd love to redesign the GUI, which is one area I know in and out.
GUI needs some work, yes.

Eugene
Waffles

Post by Waffles »

Thanks Eugene!

Well, I've gome some work to do to get my mind wrapped around this, so might as well spend this evening chewing on this project.

I just needs to look over how the GUI is being drawn. SO, here's hoping I can actually contribute.

Thanks,
Chris
Goonie12

Post by Goonie12 »

Hey Chris,

How's the progress coming? Don't want to put too much pressure on you but I'm dying to bring my favourite old adventure games along with me while I travel.

Plus, with PlayBooks flying off the shelves, your work would be appreciated by some many others as well!
Waffles

Post by Waffles »

Hey Goonie12,

Checking back and seeing your post is inspiration for me to get my head back on right and keep on pushing forward. :)

I've been side-tracked with the recent holidays, one large on going project, and the worst offender SKYRIM; which has been a ridiculous time killer.

Anyways, to top off my array of excuses, I'm getting over some head congestion, so I really needs to focus on this. :)
ob1

Post by ob1 »

Hi guys!

The ScummVM 1.3.1 is ported to BlackBerry PlayBook. Unfortunately, the port isn't approved yet for App World, but you can download BAR file and install it on your PlayBook.

Unfortunately, I can't post direct link to the BAR. :( So find it yourself on forum.kpda.ru .

Respectfully,
Oleg
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

ob1 wrote:The ScummVM 1.3.1 is ported to BlackBerry PlayBook. Unfortunately, the port isn't approved yet for App World, but you can download BAR file and install it on your PlayBook.

Unfortunately, I can't post direct link to the BAR. :( So find it yourself on forum.kpda.ru .
The mentioned forum thread only contains a link to the BAR file. Do you know if any changes to the ScummVM source code have been done for this port? If so the author needs to make the changes accessible, otherwise it would be a violation of our license terms.
ob1

Post by ob1 »

LordHoto wrote:The mentioned forum thread only contains a link to the BAR file. Do you know if any changes to the ScummVM source code have been done for this port? If so the author needs to make the changes accessible, otherwise it would be a violation of our license terms.
As far as I know a few non-significant changes was made. We'll prepare source diff this week. How do you think is it possible to include our changes to the main source tree? Thanks.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

It is possible and even is a preferred way.

Eugene
ob1

Post by ob1 »

sev wrote:It is possible and even is a preferred way.
Fine. How should I send you the patch. It'll be ready next Monday.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Send it to my e-mail sev@scummvm.org or to scummvm-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, and also we would prefer if you join our project as a porter, make the port official and prepare builds for each release.

Eugene
ob1

Post by ob1 »

sev wrote:Send it to my e-mail sev@scummvm.org or to scummvm-devel@lists.sourceforge.net, and also we would prefer if you join our project as a porter, make the port official and prepare builds for each release.
Eugene,

I've sent you patches via your personal e-mail.
kpod

Post by kpod »

I'm excited for this port!
Since apple will never lift it's restrictions I can finally play ScummVM games on my unappreciated playbook :)
Can't wait till double click is supported, need to replay my favorites
Waffles

Post by Waffles »

Awesome! This has just made my day!!! :D
dagognatt

Post by dagognatt »

kpod wrote:I'm excited for this port!
Since apple will never lift it's restrictions I can finally play ScummVM games on my unappreciated playbook :)
Can't wait till double click is supported, need to replay my favorites
Yes, I'm equally excited, but I wonder how right-clicking could be implemented as the playbook has no buttons at all.

Right now it's pretty gimped for me.

And is the sound sluggish for everyone or just me ?