Release Lucasarts Games To PD

All the inane chatter goes in here. If you're curious about whether we will support a game, post HERE not in General Discussion :)

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Zygma_Experiment

Post by Zygma_Experiment »

I think things at Lucasarts are changing. They came in for a lot of flak in the late 90's and early 2000's for releasing a load of mediocre games, like Jedi Power Battles, Obi Wan and Super Bombad Racing, but the new boss seems to have taken the critisicm on board. Some of their newer stuff, usually done through 3rd party developers has been much better, like Kights of the Old Republic, Lego Star Wars 1 & 2, Battlefront, etc, etc.

Mind you, I liked Bounty Hunter, so wha do I know? :wink:

I don't think they'll go back to point and click adventures. Certainly not with a big licence like Indiana Jones, where you can probably shift a lot more copies on different platforms if it's a 3d action adventure.

As for re-releases, who knows. Quite a few companies are looking at re-releasing some of their back catalogue on things like Xbox 360. Konami are going to release Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (which was a PS1 game) as a download for the 360. Maybe Lucasarts will keep an eye on that. If it's popular, there's no reason why some of their old properties couldn't be made available that way.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Zygma_Experiment wrote:I think things at Lucasarts are changing. They came in for a lot of flak in the late 90's and early 2000's for releasing a load of mediocre games, like Jedi Power Battles, Obi Wan and Super Bombad Racing, but the new boss seems to have taken the critisicm on board. Some of their newer stuff, usually done through 3rd party developers has been much better, like Kights of the Old Republic, Lego Star Wars 1 & 2, Battlefront, etc, etc.

Mind you, I liked Bounty Hunter, so wha do I know? :wink:

I don't think they'll go back to point and click adventures. Certainly not with a big licence like Indiana Jones, where you can probably shift a lot more copies on different platforms if it's a 3d action adventure.
Jedi Power Battles... Don't want to think about that one. :P

I agree that BF2 is a lot better than previous LA games, but it still doesn't match Monkey Island, or even Rebel Assault. And, the amount of missing stuff in KOTOR 2... :wink:
Zygma_Experiment

Ah, haven't played KOTOR2, so don't know about that. It's not available for the Mac and I don't have an Xbox. Besides which, I've only just got the first one.

I never like Rebel Assualt though. Never been partial to on-rails shooters. Saying that, Star Wars Trilogy Arcade was bloody good fun. Particularly when you got to twat Vader with a lightsabre :lol:
clem

Post by clem »

Zygma_Experiment wrote:I never like Rebel Assualt though. Never been partial to on-rails shooters.
the cheat mode with alternate subtitles in Rebel2 was hilarious (was that an MST3K reference? never watched that)

clem
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:
Zygma_Experiment wrote:I never like Rebel Assualt though. Never been partial to on-rails shooters.
the cheat mode with alternate subtitles in Rebel2 was hilarious (was that an MST3K reference? never watched that)

clem
I don't recall the Rebel2 subtitle code. I do remember the hidden cutscenes and the "letgo" and "thereisnotry". I am drawing a blank on the third code.

Or, maybe you are talking about the PSX version?

But, Zygma_Experiment, how could you not like Rebel Assault?
clem

Post by clem »

clone2727 wrote:I don't recall the Rebel2 subtitle code. I do remember the hidden cutscenes and the "letgo" and "thereisnotry". I am drawing a blank on the third code.

Or, maybe you are talking about the PSX version?
not, it was the PC DOS version, I think I found the code though (listed for the mac version, but it looks familiar):

"Theatre 1138 mode:
Press [Option] + V during game play. Enter LETGOISNOTRYOVRES as a password. FMV sequences will appear in a Mystery Science Theatre-like scene, with Darth Vadar, C3-PO, and R2-D2."

I think it was subtitles and not changed audio, but I'm not sure after all these years
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

clem wrote:"Theatre 1138 mode:
Ah, yes. Now I remember! Thanks.

Personally, I like the PC version better. The PSX version's controls were too hard to get used to.
Zygma_Experiment

/quote]

But, Zygma_Experiment, how could you not like Rebel Assault?[/quote]

Um, cos it wasn't that good? :?

Seriously though, I played it on a 3DO and it just frustrated me that I was being forced to do what the game designers wanted me to, hitting button A or B as and when required, instead of letting me explore the game the way I wanted. Rebel Assault reminded me of Dragon's Quest, or whatever it was called. Y'know, the laser-disc arcade game with Don Bluth animated visuals. Looked fantastic, but had really shallow playability.

I think that was the whole problem with FMV games. They looked good, graphically, came on a shiny disc and had real people acting in them. Somehow that made them more mature than a game about a Fat Jumping Plummer which plugged into something that looked like it was made by Fisher Price. The fact that people still playing game starring the Fat Jumping Plummer all these years later, with not a single FMV game in sight worth mentioning suggests to me that they were a pretty worthless fad.

Right, rant over. As you were, gentlemen. :wink:
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Zygma_Experiment wrote:Seriously though, I played it on a 3DO
Well, I have the PC version.
Zygma_Experiment wrote:I was being forced to do what the game designers wanted me to, hitting button A or B as and when required, instead of letting me explore the game the way I wanted.
So I am assuming that you like X-Wing.

I don't remember having to hit certain buttons at certain points, though.
Zygma_Experiment

I do like X Wing as it happens. Still pla it every nowand again, too. I could well be wrong about how Rebel Assualt plays, mind you. I haven't touched it since it was released...

Maybe I'll get a copy and be seduced ny tis retro charms.
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Zygma_Experiment wrote:I do like X Wing as it happens.
So do I. I guess the reason why I like Rebel Assault better is because on my computer (10+ years ago) X-Wing never worked properly (it was very slow).
Zygma_Experiment

And now the computer and the operating system are to fast to run it it properly without some serious fiddling around, eh? Tch. I dunno. Kids today, etc. :D
clone2727
Retired

Post by clone2727 »

Zygma_Experiment wrote:And now the computer and the operating system are to fast to run it it properly without some serious fiddling around, eh? Tch. I dunno. Kids today, etc. :D
Nah, I just use DOSBox. :wink:

But, amazingly, I got Rebel Assault II to work without anything.