Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

No donations-- I'm working on this for the love of the project :). I'm glad you're enjoying ScummVM on your tablet, though! It truly is the best form factor I've ever used to play these old games.

(Although, if there are any ScummVM users who want to show their appreciation by selling me a new TouchPad at firesale prices that they might otherwise put on eBay, I'd totally be open to that ;-) I showed my work to my father-in-law and he's totally bummed he can't get one)
filmor

Post by filmor »

Great work :)

A few additions I'd like to see in one of the next versions:

- Pause on minimize (there is an SDL event for that), at least as an option
- Notify the system that this application is going to play sound (see PDL_NotifyMusicPlaying), as I don't know any adventure that would "work" with other background music
- A gesture for ".", because I like skipping dialogs, especially when there is no sound output. I'd suggest swiping up with one finger.
- A minor glitch: In "Fate of Atlantis", the approaching "Indiana Jones" in the intro looks a bit broken for me

But again, this is great work, thanks for that :)
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Excellent suggestions :). Does Escape not skip dialogs for you, though? I don't think I've found anything thus far that it won't pass.

If that goes in, though, I'm hesitant to make it a one-finger gesture because of all the complaints there were about those before. The menu and keyboard were both one-finger gestures before I hopped in to make my tweaks, and folks triggered them accidentally all the time. 3 fingers to the left (as opposed to 2 for escape) would be fairly easy to remember though, I think.
MadB0b
Got a warning

Post by MadB0b »

TomFrost wrote:Over the next couple days I'll be making small behind-the-scenes improvements to the port for induction into the official ScummVM codebase, so as I'm working on that I'll get the latest from git and merge in the MI1/2 talkie patch as well and post that build. My last build (the one reset to 1.4.0000) was cut from a slightly earlier version of the ScummVM codebase, so that may not have all the Mohawk fanciness you're looking for.
thanks can't wait
MadB0b
Got a warning

Post by MadB0b »

no idea why it double posts, sorry.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Ok, compiled my updated, performance-improved port, and added in the latest from the ScummVM official repo as well as the latest patch from the MI1/MI2 talkie team.

Note that I have NOT tested the MI talkie functionality, as I haven't mashed together the appropriate files to make my talkie versions yet. So, try at your own risk. Also, when I compiled this, the configure script told me that the Mohawk engine responsible for Myst and Riven was disabled, which is strange considering LordHoto's earlier response. I might look into that later if Myst continues to not work in this release, but I haven't tested that either. My Myst CD is up in the attic somewhere, and I'm really friggin tired.

Either way, enjoy -- I haven't updated the OP with this link since I want folks to test it first :)

http://seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/com.g ... talkie.ipk
Last edited by TomFrost on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
filmor

Post by filmor »

TomFrost wrote:Excellent suggestions :). Does Escape not skip dialogs for you, though? I don't think I've found anything thus far that it won't pass.
Okay, this is unverified (as I can't try it now, my girlfriend needs the Touchpad to cook ;D), but I think Esc only skips full dialogs, while . skips one line of dialog.
TomFrost wrote:If that goes in, though, I'm hesitant to make it a one-finger gesture because of all the complaints there were about those before. The menu and keyboard were both one-finger gestures before I hopped in to make my tweaks, and folks triggered them accidentally all the time. 3 fingers to the left (as opposed to 2 for escape) would be fairly easy to remember though, I think.
Ack, but 3 fingers is a bit "heavy" for such a simple thing. Maybe use a 2 fingers gesture for it? I use the current 2 finger gestures (besides Esc) very rarely (although, please never get rid of the old-style control, without it pulling the screws in Indy 4 is hell ;)).
MadB0b
Got a warning

Post by MadB0b »

TomFrost wrote:Ok, compiled my updated, performance-improved port, and added in the latest from the ScummVM official repo as well as the latest patch from the MI1/MI2 talkie team.

Note that I have NOT tested the MI talkie functionality, as I haven't mashed together the appropriate files to make my talkie versions yet. So, try at your own risk. Also, when I compiled this, the configure script told me that the Mohawk engine responsible for Myst and Riven was disabled, which is strange considering LordHoto's earlier response. I might look into that later if Myst continues to not work in this release, but I haven't tested that either. My Myst CD is up in the attic somewhere, and I'm really friggin tired.

Either way, enjoy -- I haven't updated the OP with this link since I want folks to test it first :)

tested MI1 speech version and it works well including turning on/off sub's, thanks for this.

to get it working I had to uninstall the previous version as installing over the top did not work.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I enabled the Mohawk games. Riven appears to be playing great, but my copy of the Myst Masterpiece Edition for Windows has audio without video. Again, this is an unsupported game so I'm not sure what it's normally capable of, but either this is incomplete or there's a library I'm missing. I haven't tried waiting past the Myst dialog to get further ingame, though. Either way, Riven works :).

New link: http://www.seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/c ... mohawk.ipk
Bubonic

Post by Bubonic »

pjpeter wrote:
One thing I noticed in Space Quest 4 that I can't actually go east or west (the screen to the right or left) in the game - if you try to walk off the screen, it just doesn't trigger.
Im having the same issue with not being able to exit screens on the left or right side. I have noticed it with sq4, as well as kings quest 6. Haven't tried much else yet.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Bubonic wrote:
pjpeter wrote:
One thing I noticed in Space Quest 4 that I can't actually go east or west (the screen to the right or left) in the game - if you try to walk off the screen, it just doesn't trigger.
Im having the same issue with not being able to exit screens on the left or right side. I have noticed it with sq4, as well as kings quest 6. Haven't tried much else yet.
KQ6 I have and am familiar with, but I haven't played through it on touchpad yet. Where in KQ6 are you seeing this issue?
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Bubonic wrote:
pjpeter wrote:
I think KQ6 is very sensitive to where you click, you usually need to click really close to the screen edge. If there is a touchpad style input mode (where moving your finger over the screen just moves the cursor in that direction) you should try that and move the cursor really on the edge.
Bubonic

Post by Bubonic »

LordHoto wrote: I think KQ6 is very sensitive to where you click, you usually need to click really close to the screen edge. If there is a touchpad style input mode (where moving your finger over the screen just moves the cursor in that direction) you should try that and move the cursor really on the edge.
its not an issue of me clicking in the incorrect place, I've tried with and without touchpad mode and gotten the character 99% sunscreen and not triggered the exit. There is definitely an issue with exiting on left or right side with some games.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I can't address this one if you don't tell me where to reproduce it :)
Bubonic

Post by Bubonic »

in kq6, on the crown castle entrance screen with the two guards, try following the path to the left.