Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

kayahr
ScummVM Porter

Post by kayahr »

minego wrote:It does NOT work. On the pixi you just get a black screen. It never displays anything.
Can you try starting it from a terminal? Maybe it spits out some useful "unresolved symbols" error messages or maybe a segfault. I wonder... Is it possible to activate dump files on WebOS to debug segfaults? Never tried it...
domb

Post by domb »

TomFrost - I can certainly look into it Smile Any suggestions for a good game to test that makes use of these?
As far as I am aware most of the PC titles will work with a MIDI card if present, Fate of Atlantis and Monkey Island 2 certainly do.

It is much nicer audio than the adlib! You will also need a soundfont (contains the audio patches) to make it work. For accurate emulation, a few of these exist which have sampled the original cards (although the legality of these is questionable).

Many Thanks
kayahr
ScummVM Porter

Post by kayahr »

domb wrote:For accurate emulation, a few of these exist which have sampled the original cards (although the legality of these is questionable).
After some discussion Debian has included the Fluid soundfont in the main distribution. So it was accepted as "free" by Debian and Debian is very picky about license stuff:

http://www.musescore.org/download/fluid ... ont.tar.gz

But I guess installing sound fonts should be an optional step anyway manually done by the user (Who could copy it into a documented location on the flash drive). You can't ship a 130 MB file with ScummVM. Well, technically you can but I don't think this would be a good idea.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

kayahr wrote:
domb wrote:For accurate emulation, a few of these exist which have sampled the original cards (although the legality of these is questionable).
After some discussion Debian has included the Fluid soundfont in the main distribution. So it was accepted as "free" by Debian and Debian is very picky about license stuff:

http://www.musescore.org/download/fluid ... ont.tar.gz

But I guess installing sound fonts should be an optional step anyway manually done by the user (Who could copy it into a documented location on the flash drive). You can't ship a 130 MB file with ScummVM. Well, technically you can but I don't think this would be a good idea.
Would it be possible at all to incorporate MT-32 emulation? I own an MT-32 and CM-32LN which sound wonderful on ScummVM on my Mac and PC!
TomFrost

Re: I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by TomFrost »

kayahr wrote:BTW: Do you compile your ScummVM port (And the third-party libaries used by it) with the Pixi-compiler settings like described in the Wiki? If not then it's clear that it can't work.
Nope -- my end goal was to have a single build for all WebOS, so I stayed with the lowest common denominator. It might be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference going with the v7 arch, but the current build is exactly what you have laid out on the compile guide now.

Re: the MIDI stuff: It looks like TiMidity++ is the safest bet for the Touchpad, but this gets into OS integration stuff that I'm definitely not going to solve quickly, if ever.

Re: device rotation support: WebOS appears to have some serious issues with rotation mapping in SDL. I might be able to get around the problems, though -- will run some tests tonight to see. I really, really don't want to change all of this over to OGL for this one little feature ;-)
mrbell321

Re: I'll start looking at the code once I find the time...

Post by mrbell321 »

TomFrost wrote:
BTW: Someone here with a Veer? I still don't know if the WebOS port (Official one or TomFrost's newer fork) works on the smaller display.
I've been getting PMs and tweets from some folks who have had success with their phones, but no Veers yet, unfortunately.
Have you tried the palm emulator? I haven't specifically tried(or even noticed, for that matter) the Veer in the emulator, but it's probably there.

I wonder if there will be issues w/ VM on top of an emulator...
minego

Post by minego »

kayahr wrote:
minego wrote:It does NOT work. On the pixi you just get a black screen. It never displays anything.
Can you try starting it from a terminal? Maybe it spits out some useful "unresolved symbols" error messages or maybe a segfault. I wonder... Is it possible to activate dump files on WebOS to debug segfaults? Never tried it...
I'll try starting it from novaterm as soon as I get a chance. Like I said it is my friend's pixi, and I probably won't see him for a few days.
auto_exec

Post by auto_exec »

TomFrost wrote:Really really big update! ScummVM WebOS port 1.4.0007:

- Touchpad mode is now DISABLED by default. Swipe two fingers to the right if you want it back on. There should be no mouse pointer on the screen when you start the app, now.

- Unified the standard WebOS and Touchpad WebOS ports! This should now work wonderfully for all multitouch WebOS devices across the board, all with the same control scheme. To those who have been compiling the source, that means we're switching back to ./configure --host=webos instead of webos_tablet.

- Fixed a nasty bug causing clicks to sometimes not register.

- Fixed a nasty bug causing autodrag to kick in even when you moved far away from the initial tap point.

- Enabled the keymapper, so bluetooth keyboards should now be fully supported :)

- Added a new gesture: swipe three fingers down to quickly pause/unpause the game without opening the menu. This feature courtesy of my wife who waits until long, important soliloquies to start conversations with me. Please forgive the "Press spacebar to unpause..." message. That will work, of course, but another three-finger-swipe downwards will suffice.

- Aspect ratio correction is now on by default for new users.

- If something crazy happens, like the two-finger swipe left triggers a game pause or the keyboard triggers unexpected actions, use "Internalz" from preware to delete /media/internal/ScummVM/scummvmrc and then reinstall ScummVM. I highly highly doubt this will be an issue for anyone, but there's a small chance. Please do this before reporting any bugs :)

All in all, I think this is our first major milestone. I'll call it RC1 ;-). Unless any major bugs pop up, I'll be sending a massive pull request to the ScummVM devs with this update.

The new link: http://seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/com.g ... 07_all.ipk
I see you fixed a click-recognition issue (which was affecting Full Throttle and exiting on Old Mine Rd.)... I can confirm that I am definitely able to exit onto Old Mine Rd now with the new version... HOWEVER, I cannot change weapons when in a fight on Old Mine Rd. You're supposed to right-click to change weapons, but nothing I do seems to have any effect.. I've tried various combinations of touchpad mode and autodrag mode to no avail.

I've uploaded a Full Throttle save to box.net (https://www.box.net/shared/so49dfntpx7sz86v3d00). You can see that you have a chain and fertilizer in your inventory (i.e. if you right-click after loading the save), but I can't get my fists to change to either of these weapons during a fight on Old Mine Rd...

All you need to do is get on your bike and head down the road, exiting onto Old Mine Rd (exiting seems to work best when set to double-tap mode)... drive down Old Mine Rd. until you meet up with someone to fight (seems like touchpad mode works best for controlling the bike movement). You'll see a fist on the bottom-left of the screen that's supposed to change to another weapon when you right-click...

This is driving me crazy, I want to beat this game! :) Can you help??? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Sorry guys -- out of time on this port for now. I've sent a pull request and will need to step back toward my own neglected projects for now ;-). I'll still be working on this, just not as actively. Please feel free to modify whatever I've done thus far!
javalsu

Mine road - Full Throttle

Post by javalsu »

does anyone know how to switch weapons while fighting in this part of the game? I can't get past this part without it
minego

Re: Mine road - Full Throttle

Post by minego »

javalsu wrote:does anyone know how to switch weapons while fighting in this part of the game? I can't get past this part without it
Right click, or open the keyboard and hit tab
javalsu

Re: Mine road - Full Throttle

Post by javalsu »

minego wrote:
javalsu wrote:does anyone know how to switch weapons while fighting in this part of the game? I can't get past this part without it
Right click, or open the keyboard and hit tab
no dice. Neither one does anything. Any other ideas?
minego

Post by minego »

Sorry, I don't have any other ideas.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Just wanted to update to say CoMI plays perfectly through the latest build with autodrag on. Completed it yesterday and will attempt The Dig play thru soon.
MadBob
Got a warning

Post by MadBob »

Played The DIG straight through with both endings, ah nostalgia.

BTW does this work with the Monkey Island Special Editions Fan-patched for full speech

EDIT_
OK I have converted my SE game and loaded it on my touchpad, it doesn't work so I guess we have to hope it gets compiled to fix this :(