Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

minego

Post by minego »

Yup. With "touchpad" mode on it seems to occasionally work... maybe one in 20 tries seems to work. With "touchpad" mode off I couldn't get it to work at all.

On the PC it works every time with the same copy of the game.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Good to know :) Could you throw a copy of your save somewhere, and a couple tips on how to get to that section that fastest? I'm working on a big update now to combine the touchpad and non-touchpad webos versions, so I might try to fit that in before I throw another release together.

Edit: Oo, I think I might have just found your bug! I found a case where sometimes the click event could be overwritten by a mouse move in the same loop. Will post an update with the fix after everything's tested and committed :)
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Really really big update! ScummVM WebOS port 1.4.0007:

- Touchpad mode is now DISABLED by default. Swipe two fingers to the right if you want it back on. There should be no mouse pointer on the screen when you start the app, now.

- Unified the standard WebOS and Touchpad WebOS ports! This should now work wonderfully for all multitouch WebOS devices across the board, all with the same control scheme. To those who have been compiling the source, that means we're switching back to ./configure --host=webos instead of webos_tablet.

- Fixed a nasty bug causing clicks to sometimes not register.

- Fixed a nasty bug causing autodrag to kick in even when you moved far away from the initial tap point.

- Enabled the keymapper, so bluetooth keyboards should now be fully supported :)

- Added a new gesture: swipe three fingers down to quickly pause/unpause the game without opening the menu. This feature courtesy of my wife who waits until long, important soliloquies to start conversations with me. Please forgive the "Press spacebar to unpause..." message. That will work, of course, but another three-finger-swipe downwards will suffice.

- Aspect ratio correction is now on by default for new users.

- If something crazy happens, like the two-finger swipe left triggers a game pause or the keyboard triggers unexpected actions, use "Internalz" from preware to delete /media/internal/ScummVM/scummvmrc and then reinstall ScummVM. I highly highly doubt this will be an issue for anyone, but there's a small chance. Please do this before reporting any bugs :)

All in all, I think this is our first major milestone. I'll call it RC1 ;-). Unless any major bugs pop up, I'll be sending a massive pull request to the ScummVM devs with this update.

The new link: http://seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/com.g ... 07_all.ipk
minego

Post by minego »

Awesome! I'm glad you found the click bug. I can't wait to try this build out.

I actually finished Full Throttle on my laptop today (it is a short game, and I was really enjoying it). I have a saved game though, so I'll go verify the fix for you.

If it still has problems I'll upload the save game file somewhere for you, but it sounds like it should work now.

I'm now playing the dig, and really enjoying that too. What a creepy game (in a good way).
minego

Post by minego »

Now we need to come up with a way to sync saved games between webOS devices (and possibly my computer too).

I'd love to be able to switch between my TouchPad and pre 2 easily.
chess227

Post by chess227 »

I just wanted to post a followup to my previous comment about the keyboard not going away in the event somebody else was having the same problem. I continued having the problem on my device and then noticed there was a webos version update available. Once I installed the version update, the keyboard goes away perfectly. The new build seems to run very nicely. Thanks again for all of your hard work. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it
ice8lue

Post by ice8lue »

TomFrost: The problem with The Dig is connected with the TouchPad Bug of losing sound from time to time. If there's no sound, the dig shows up but instantly closes (tries to initiate sounds?). After a device restart, when sound works again, it plays without a single bug. The error also occurs if all game sounds are muted and the TP bug is occuring
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

minego wrote:Now we need to come up with a way to sync saved games between webOS devices (and possibly my computer too).

I'd love to be able to switch between my TouchPad and pre 2 easily.
There are a handful of ways you could do that :) WebOS is a linux-based platform, and as such you can download the SDK/PDK and compile linux software for it. The easiest way to go would be compiling rsync and downloading the terminal app from preware on your pre. Run an rsync script, and bam. Alternatively, you could also install openssh from preware on both devices and scp the saves from one to the other. If you really hated yourself, you could try to get a cron service running on both, and whip up a shell script to sync with dropbox ;-).
chess227 wrote:I just wanted to post a followup to my previous comment about the keyboard not going away in the event somebody else was having the same problem. I continued having the problem on my device and then noticed there was a webos version update available. Once I installed the version update, the keyboard goes away perfectly. The new build seems to run very nicely. Thanks again for all of your hard work. Can't tell you how much I appreciate it
Ah, mystery solved! Thanks for the update -- I'm sure we'll run into a lot of that, with all the new Touchpad users around now :)
ice8lue wrote:TomFrost: The problem with The Dig is connected with the TouchPad Bug of losing sound from time to time. If there's no sound, the dig shows up but instantly closes (tries to initiate sounds?). After a device restart, when sound works again, it plays without a single bug. The error also occurs if all game sounds are muted and the TP bug is occuring
Interesting! It would be splendid if HP would fix that bug ;-). Thanks for the report!
ice8lue

Post by ice8lue »

Something still connected to the Dig:

Is there a way to do a click-and-hold-left-mouse-button?
It's needed to initiate the bridges
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

ice8lue wrote:Something still connected to the Dig:

Double-tap and hold with auto-drag mode off, or tap and hold with auto-drag mode on :) Swipe three fingers to the right to toggle.
minego

Post by minego »

ice8lue wrote:TomFrost: The problem with The Dig is connected with the TouchPad Bug of losing sound from time to time. If there's no sound, the dig shows up but instantly closes (tries to initiate sounds?). After a device restart, when sound works again, it plays without a single bug. The error also occurs if all game sounds are muted and the TP bug is occuring
This kind of behavior for a PDK app generally means that it is running out of memory. There is a field (I don't remember the name off the top of my head) that you can set in the appinfo.json to tell webOS how much memory you will need. It will then do garbage cleanup to make sure there is enough, and will give the "too many cards" if it can't.

If that field is not set high enough then the card may be closed if it tries to use more memory than that limit. Setting that properly is the correct solution to these types of errors.
minego

Post by minego »

TomFrost wrote:
ice8lue wrote:Something still connected to the Dig:

Double-tap and hold with auto-drag mode off, or tap and hold with auto-drag mode on :) Swipe three fingers to the right to toggle.
I can confirm that this works properly. I'm really enjoying the dig.

I'd prefer to have the "auto-drag" mode on by default (or an option to set it). I find it the most useful.
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi TomFrost,

Thanks again for all your work on this, it is amazing! I completed MI1&2 recently through it, and now working through CoMI! It's awesome and working pretty flawless so far.

I know this is a big ask, but I was wondering if you might possibly consider implementing the MI1&2 talkie edition code into this build? Thanks again for your help!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

phunimator wrote:Hi TomFrost,

Thanks again for all your work on this, it is amazing! I completed MI1&2 recently through it, and now working through CoMI! It's awesome and working pretty flawless so far.

I know this is a big ask, but I was wondering if you might possibly consider implementing the MI1&2 talkie edition code into this build? Thanks again for your help!
I didn't know anything about that project until googling it and reading the first few posts here, but I still don't know what's really going on there. Did they patch ScummVM? If so, where's the code? Does it use the same engine? Generally, ports are only concerned with three things: Graphics, Events (mean, the control system), and supporting third-party sound and graphics libraries. Since I'd like for this to be an official update to the ScummVM WebOS port, this may be out of my scope :-/.
minego wrote: This kind of behavior for a PDK app generally means that it is running out of memory. There is a field (I don't remember the name off the top of my head) that you can set in the appinfo.json to tell webOS how much memory you will need. It will then do garbage cleanup to make sure there is enough, and will give the "too many cards" if it can't.

If that field is not set high enough then the card may be closed if it tries to use more memory than that limit. Setting that properly is the correct solution to these types of errors.
I'm very familiar with that limit ;-). I think this is something different entirely, though-- the TouchPad will just lose sound from time to time. And trying to run ScummVM in that case will crash it. Since that problem doesn't happen any other time, that indicates it's the sound bug that's the issue, not the RAM.
minego wrote: I can confirm that this works properly. I'm really enjoying the dig.

I'd prefer to have the "auto-drag" mode on by default (or an option to set it). I find it the most useful.
Good deal! Yeah, I'm definitely considering making autodrag the default. The only thing holding me back is the fact that it can sometimes be very unnerving to rest your finger on the screen and have it click a second later without you doing anything ;-). This can get super frustrating in games where you choose the next line of dialog to say. You sit there and think about which line to slide your finger to, and it clicks on one you definitely didn't want. So I'm not decided on which would be the better default yet :)
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi TomFrost

Thanks for the quick reply! From what I understand, it is a patch of the SCUMMVM code. So far a build of the win32 version, and an android version were done. Here is a link to the post with the source and binary -> http://www.lucasforums.com/showpost.php ... tcount=360

Please let me know what you think. If nothing can be done at this stage, then no probs, I already appreciate all the work you've done!! Thanks again. 8)