Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

evilmax17

Post by evilmax17 »

Fantastic update, really makes a big difference on the Touchpad.

Any chance we can get this into one of the Preware feeds? Would make it easier to get updates in the future.

Great work so far!
ice8lue

Post by ice8lue »

----
Last edited by ice8lue on Sat Sep 10, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ice8lue

Post by ice8lue »

First of all, THANK YOU!

Now, I tried The Dig on my TouchPad and when I start the game, for some seconds it shows the clouds but instantly closes scummVM. Do you know why?
mosdl

Post by mosdl »

I'm the owner of nexapps, great to see someone take over (haven't had much time lately).
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

evilmax17 wrote:Fantastic update, really makes a big difference on the Touchpad.

Any chance we can get this into one of the Preware feeds? Would make it easier to get updates in the future.

Great work so far!
Thanks! I'd love to list it on Preware once it's bugtested and finalized -- just today I posted 3-4 updates, so once that slows down I'd be open to it :). I'd really like to get the non-multitouch build tested first too, because then at least I can pull a pull request in with the fine gents who lead this awesome piece of software and maybe make it a little more official ;-).
ice8lue wrote:I tried The Dig on my TouchPad and when I start the game, for some seconds it shows the clouds but instantly closes scummVM. Do you know why?
Interesting! I can't duplicate that problem, so my best guess is that maybe you may have compressed the sound files with a format that this port doesn't support? I'd definitely recommend pulling a fresh copy off the CD and giving that a shot.

If that doesn't fix it, there's a pretty decent way for you to tell me what's happening, if you're up for it :). What you need is WebOSQuickInstall from here, and once you get it running, under the Tools menu, you can open up the command line. Throw this sucker on the command line to start ScummVM:

Code: Select all

/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.github.tomfrost.scummvm/bin/scummvm
Just add The Dig (running it this way uses a different prefs file, so it won't have your games in it yet), run it, let it crash, then post everything that it spat out in the terminal window :). We'll get to the bottom of it!
mosdl wrote:I'm the owner of nexapps, great to see someone take over (haven't had much time lately).
Good sir, you are the man. Thanks for everything, because I seriously doubt I would have been able to put this out without everything you did :)
CaCHooKa Man

Post by CaCHooKa Man »

i stumbled upon this thread through a post on precentral and it works great on my touchpad. im using a bluetooth keyboard and mostly everything works on it except the arrow, function and escape keys. is this because the on screen keyboard doesnt have them?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

CaCHooKa Man wrote:i stumbled upon this thread through a post on precentral and it works great on my touchpad. im using a bluetooth keyboard and mostly everything works on it except the arrow, function and escape keys. is this because the on screen keyboard doesnt have them?
I'm betting that's because I had to turn the keymapper off for this port. Let me do a bit of digging into how to emulate the escape button without simulating an actual keypress, then I'll flip the mapper back on and hopefully bluetooth keyboards can be fully supported :)
warpdesign

Post by warpdesign »

How do you make use of the actions menu with FullThrottles and the likes ? I hardly can make the menu appear (by tapping and then moving another finger I guess), but then how do I select an entry in the menu ? I tried moving the second thing to an entry, taping on an entry,... won't do it. Everytime the menu just disapears without execing any action.

So the question is: how do I use this menu with this new ScummVM build ? :) And btw: what mode should I be in ?
dmcccdmn

Post by dmcccdmn »

I had to register an account to thank all of those who are working hard to support WebOS. It's nice to see a growing WebOS community. Keep up the good work guys.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

warpdesign wrote:How do you make use of the actions menu with FullThrottles and the likes ? I hardly can make the menu appear (by tapping and then moving another finger I guess), but then how do I select an entry in the menu ? I tried moving the second thing to an entry, taping on an entry,... won't do it. Everytime the menu just disapears without execing any action.

So the question is: how do I use this menu with this new ScummVM build ? :) And btw: what mode should I be in ?
When not in autodrag mode, you (all with 1 finger) move the pointer to an object, double-tap and hold your finger down on the second tap, then slide that same finger to move the pointer over whichever action you want.

When you swipe 3 fingers to the right and turn autodrag mode on, it's the exact same thing but without the double-tap. Move the pointer to the object you want to interact with, lift your finger, sit it back on the screen and hold still for a split second, and the actions menu will appear. Slide that same finger to the action you want and lift.

That's with touchpad mode on, of course. With touchpad mode off, you just directly double-tap the object you want if autodrag is off, or sit your finger on the object you want if it's on. But touchpad mode is purely personal preference. Some people hate it with a seething passion, but I prefer it because my hands aren't transparent and I want to be able to see the screen, damnit ;-)

Either way, you'll never be tapping a second finger to use those menus. The quick right-click is killer for games with a default action like Flight of the Amazon Queen, for example, but not so useful in FT or COMI :)
dmcccdmn wrote:I had to register an account to thank all of those who are working hard to support WebOS. It's nice to see a growing WebOS community. Keep up the good work guys.
Thanks! :) I wish I had played with WebOS before the Touchpad came out, because I would have been a convert instantly. I'm a web architect in my day job, and seeing how frickin' easy it is to write an app for these suckers made me cry a little inside at the fact that HP decided to discontinue all their webOS hardware. Oh well. We'll have all the fun while it lasts :)
dmcccdmn

Post by dmcccdmn »

TomFrost wrote: Thanks! :) I wish I had played with WebOS before the Touchpad came out, because I would have been a convert instantly. I'm a web architect in my day job, and seeing how frickin' easy it is to write an app for these suckers made me cry a little inside at the fact that HP decided to discontinue all their webOS hardware. Oh well. We'll have all the fun while it lasts :)
I'm guessing all the developers are thinking on the same line as well. HP should hold a conference with software developers to see where things stand and perhaps have a change of heart if they get the support from developers.
minego

Post by minego »

Okay first of all, this is awesome. This runs really nicely on the TouchPad now.

The controls are great, for the most part. I can not get them to work right when controlling the bike in Full Throttle. How do I take an exit to get onto mine road? I'm very confused.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

minego wrote:Okay first of all, this is awesome. This runs really nicely on the TouchPad now.

The controls are great, for the most part. I can not get them to work right when controlling the bike in Full Throttle. How do I take an exit to get onto mine road? I'm very confused.
I haven't played that far into FT at all recently-- what would you do on the PC version to take that exit?
minego

Post by minego »

TomFrost wrote:
minego wrote:Okay first of all, this is awesome. This runs really nicely on the TouchPad now.

I haven't played that far into FT at all recently-- what would you do on the PC version to take that exit?
Just left click. No matter what I do I can't seem to make it work on the TouchPad. In this scene the mouse pointer isn't visible. Is that related?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Interesting! Have you tried both Touchpad and non-touchpad mode for that?