Updated WebOS port with new features. Now Touchpad-friendly!

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

jedinat

Post by jedinat »

shareef68 wrote:
jedinat wrote:The screen is squashed so there's black bars on top and bottom. When I turn on aspect ratio correction the image correctly fills the screen, but the touch controls won't work for the top and bottom.
install internalz through preware then use internalz to delete the /media/internal/SummVM/scummvmrc file
For what purpose exactly?
shareef68

Post by shareef68 »

jedinat wrote:
shareef68 wrote:
jedinat wrote:The screen is squashed so there's black bars on top and bottom. When I turn on aspect ratio correction the image correctly fills the screen, but the touch controls won't work for the top and bottom.
install internalz through preware then use internalz to delete the /media/internal/SummVM/scummvmrc file
For what purpose exactly?
To reset your scummvm settings back to default (remove the aspect ratio setting that you had set) so you can use the touch controls again. This doesn't fix the aspect ratio issue issue, but at least it gets you back to being able to use scummvm on your to again :P
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

shareef68 wrote:To reset your scummvm settings back to default (remove the aspect ratio setting that you had set) so you can use the touch controls again. This doesn't fix the aspect ratio issue issue, but at least it gets you back to being able to use scummvm on your to again :P
Ah, yeah, I actually found a settings file by just going into USB mode, turned the setting off with notepad. I'm not sure why this issue even exists... did whoever port the thing not notice it didn't go to the edge of the screen? Don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me like it would be a really simple fix. (I'm REALLY anal about aspect ratios, black bars, etc.)
shareef68

Post by shareef68 »

jedinat wrote:
shareef68 wrote:To reset your scummvm settings back to default (remove the aspect ratio setting that you had set) so you can use the touch controls again. This doesn't fix the aspect ratio issue issue, but at least it gets you back to being able to use scummvm on your to again :P
Ah, yeah, I actually found a settings file by just going into USB mode, turned the setting off with notepad. I'm not sure why this issue even exists... did whoever port the thing not notice it didn't go to the edge of the screen? Don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me like it would be a really simple fix. (I'm REALLY anal about aspect ratios, black bars, etc.)
I know what you mean... BTW, those black bars are only there on the menu screen. The games themselves run in full screen.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

shareef68 wrote: I know what you mean... BTW, those black bars are only there on the menu screen. The games themselves run in full screen.
I've tried Indiana Jones, Monkey Island 2, and Beneath a Steel Sky. All have black bars.
kyng-wu

Post by kyng-wu »

When i override the gfx settings to get fullscreen i get some gfx errors.

Image Image Image
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

Yeah, just to reiterate, the only game that goes full screen is the Curse of Monkey Island. Setting aspect ratio correction to individual games does funky things with the graphics. If fills the screen, but seems to be displaying both screen modes at the same time or something. Like it'll show the full screen as a fixed image and any animation going on happens as a squashed screen overlay.

Anyways, I do really appreciate this port and would love to see some of the bugs worked out!
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

jedinat wrote:did whoever port the thing not notice it didn't go to the edge of the screen? Don't mean to be rude, but it seems to me like it would be a really simple fix.
Kayahr wrote the webOS port, but not for TouchPad. WebOS was released on cellphones long before the TouchPad was ever conceived :). On those devices, it works phenomenally.

Kayahr's port, right out of the box, ran just fine on the TouchPad without any crashes. The problem areas were the controls and the resolution/aspect ratio. Because the controls were the bigger problem (imagine just never being able to save), that's where I started. Once most of the necessary features are covered there, I'll try to figure out the display system.
jedinat

Post by jedinat »

TomFrost wrote:Kayahr wrote the webOS port, but not for TouchPad. WebOS was released on cellphones long before the TouchPad was ever conceived :). On those devices, it works phenomenally.

Kayahr's port, right out of the box, ran just fine on the TouchPad without any crashes. The problem areas were the controls and the resolution/aspect ratio. Because the controls were the bigger problem (imagine just never being able to save), that's where I started. Once most of the necessary features are covered there, I'll try to figure out the display system.[/color]
I see. Thanks for your efforts. It would be great to get a higher resolution.
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Massive freaking update:

- Wayne's alternative clicking controls have been implemented. Tap with one finger for a left click. Tap with a second finger with one already on the screen for a right click. Tap with a third finger with two already on screen for a middle-click. To those familiar with the iPhone port, it's basically the same scheme.

- Swiping 3 fingers to the right toggles auto-drag mode. In auto-drag mode, putting your finger on screen and waiting for half a second (without moving the pointer more than a few pixels) will automatically start dragging. This is great for games like Full Throttle and Curse of Monkey Island that require the mouse button to be held down to access the actions -- no more double-tapping! You can still move your finger around immediately after touching the screen to hover over things without clicking them. Combined with the new clicking controls, this lets you drag one finger around and tap with the second to perform the default action in most games.

- Aspect ratio can now be changed without limiting the range of the mouse pointer. (kyng-wu, this addresses the issue you illustrated in your screenshots.)

- High resolution graphics!

- Graphics filters can now be used. Note that some of them are too intensive for the Touchpad to handle without some really framey animations, but others look pretty nice.

- Switched to the modern ScummVM interface theme. It's more thumb-friendly :)

- The mouse pointer now goes away when you turn Touchpad Mode off. Note that this only works when the default ScummVM pointer is being used, so it's not a super huge deal... but still nice to have ;-)

- Small performance improvements

- Bugfix: A click was being generated when you put your finger on screen, moved it far away from the original position, moved back, and released. That's bad.

You can get the new version here: http://seriouslyslick.com/scummvm/com.g ... 06_all.ipk

But wait, don't stop reading! I desperately need your help!
A few of the changes I made -- particularly to graphics -- might have introduced problems from non-HP TouchPad WebOS devices. If you have a WebOS phone and would like to help the ScummVM cause, PLEASE let me know and I'll compile a standard WebOS version for you to try out. This really needs to happen before I submit all my updates for review by the gods of the official repo, so it's pretty important :)
phunimator

Post by phunimator »

Hi TomFrost

Awesome update! Having fun with the renderers, playing MI1 with Super2xSai is brilliant! Thanks so much...I will do more testing and report back soon, thanks again!

Autotoggling seems to be working alright with the cursor, although you forgot to mention how to toggle between touchpad on and off, which is two fingers right.

I found that tapping the screen sometimes, or selecting use object with another object requires an extra tap to register whether autodrag is on or off.

Other than that things are looking great so far, and will be trialling my other games!! :)
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

phunimator wrote: Awesome update! Having fun with the renderers, playing MI1 with Super2xSai is brilliant! Thanks so much...I will do more testing and report back soon, thanks again!
Nononono... thank you! :) Glad you're having fun with it!
Autotoggling seems to be working alright with the cursor, although you forgot to mention how to toggle between touchpad on and off, which is two fingers right.
Oh, apologies! For control instructions, I've just been updating the list in the first post.
I found that tapping the screen sometimes, or selecting use object with another object requires an extra tap to register whether autodrag is on or off.
Fixed, along with some other glitchiness! Redownload/reinstall :)
Edit: Also fixed another bug where lifting your finger off the screen would left-click even if you only put it down for a right-click.
chess227

Keyboard Question

Post by chess227 »

Hey Tom,

I just wanted to say thank you so much to you and Wayne for making this port work so well. It all seems to be working very very well. I did have one question, however.

I have been trying and trying to figure out how to do this without asking, but is there a way to make the keyboard go away once you swipe it up? The button on the bottom of the keyboard that usually puts it away does not work and I didn't know if there was a trick to it. As of right now, if I accidentally swipe it up, the only way I can get rid of it is closing the program. Just didn't know if I was missing something.

Again, thank you so much to the dedication you two had to bring this to the touchpad... Cannot tell you how much I appreciate it.
jedinat

Re: Keyboard Question

Post by jedinat »

Awesome update TomFrost! Thank you so much.
chess227 wrote:I have been trying and trying to figure out how to do this without asking, but is there a way to make the keyboard go away once you swipe it up? The button on the bottom of the keyboard that usually puts it away does not work and I didn't know if there was a trick to it. As of right now, if I accidentally swipe it up, the only way I can get rid of it is closing the program. Just didn't know if I was missing something.
The keyboard goes away just fine for me...
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I can't replicate the keyboard issue either, chess... Does this happen when you bring the keyboard up and try to hide it from the menu screen as soon as you launch ScummVM? If so, the first thing I'd recommend trying is deleting the /media/internal/ScummVM/scummvmrc file (either with WebOSQuickInstall's terminal, or with Internalz Pro from Preware) and then relaunch.

Edit: Another small bugfix update -- sometimes multi-finger gestures were triggering clicks at the end. Rare, but common enough to be annoying. Same file, same link.

Edit 2: I got someone to try the tablet build on the Pre3 and got good reviews -- I'm still looking for someone who can test the standard webos build (I can provide if you can't compile it on your own) on a mobile with hardware buttons. Please let me know if you can :).
Last edited by TomFrost on Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.