Anyone have issues setting up the dev environment?

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's WebOS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

TomFrost

Anyone have issues setting up the dev environment?

Post by TomFrost »

I'm going a bit crazy, here. I've forked ScummVM to play a bit with alternative controls and graphics tweaks to more fully support the HP Touchpad, but I'm getting hung up on dependencies. Specifically, flac. Flac hasn't had an update in quite awhile, so I'm afraid the newer versions of arm-none-linux-gnueabi-gcc aren't treating it well. On a mac (arm gcc 4.3.3), compiling flac throws me:

Code: Select all

encode.c: In function ‘flac__encode_aif’:
encode.c:607: internal compiler error: Bus error: 10
On Ubuntu (well, Lubuntu, but same thing-- arm gcc 4.3.3 again), nearly the same result:

encode.c: In function ‘flac__encode_aif’:
encode.c:607: internal compiler error: Segmentation fault
For the curious, line 607 is the closing bracket of the function listed.

Has anyone here successfully set up their webOS development environment for ScummVM? If so, how did Flac go for you and what version of the arm gcc did you use?

Edit: It probably goes without saying, but I'm following the instructions here: http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/Compi ... mmVM/WebOS
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

I'm not sure about the compatibility of FLAC on WebOS... have you tried disabling it? Or do you need it?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

I never went the route of trying to disable it, since it's listed as required on the compile guide. I figured that would definitely break :). I can give it a shot, but since it's on the compile guide I can't help but think someone must have had some luck with it. There are a handful of sound libraries that the webOS port doesn't use (but ScummVM itself normally does), so the idea of paring that list down any more is a bit frightening. I don't want to improve controls at the expense of losing compatibility :).
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Well, disabling FLAC support isn't as bad as you might think :)

You just do:

./configure --disable-flac
and

make
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Ha, not bad at all ;-). Do you fine gentlemen keep an index of what engines/game versions depend on what sound libraries? I'm cool with going that route as long as it doesn't kill off too many games.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

The sound libraries are all optional. Mostly, you need them if you have compressed audio game files using the ScummVM tools to save space. Some engines do require the MP3 and OGG libraries (e.g. sword25's audio is encoded in OGG and some the sound in some mohawk games is encoded in MP2). However, there is no game that I know of that came originally with FLAC audio, and there actually are some ports where FLAC doesn't compile out of the box (the WinCE port comes to mind, for example).

So, to sum up: FLAC is not required in any game, unless you have compressed audio files in FLAC format using the ScummVM tools (as it is the only lossless sound compression scheme supported in ScummVM).
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Well excellent, then! Thanks, md5 :)

My compile broke on the libtucker plugin with

install: illegal option -- t
but I'm sure it's nothing library-related. I'm going to switch over to Linux and hopefully I can get these gestures to stop triggering unintentionally :)

Thanks for your help!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

That error is not related to FLAC, but it looks odd... Which gcc version are you using?
TomFrost

Post by TomFrost »

Moving to Linux fixed it. My Mac's gcc was version 4.2.1, arm gcc was 4.3.3. No worries :). My compiled version didn't feel like launching in the emulator, but I'll grapple with that when I get home later. It seems like the big hurdles are covered, though!