How do I create arrow key events for SCI games.

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

diesel360

How do I create arrow key events for SCI games.

Post by diesel360 »

I have just started playing through my old quest for glory games and have run into a problem in qg2. The entire combat engine and some puzzles require the arrow key input. I may be missing something, but I don't see how to create these key events. Does any body have any ideas?

On the bright side I am happy to see qg4 now working(partially) in the nightly build. Thanks to all those hard working developers.

I am running a recent nightly on an Atrix.

Edit:

I notice a number of views and no comments, any comments on whether this should be entered as a bug/feature request?
analog999

Arrow Keys

Post by analog999 »

Arrow keys are a necessity for fighting in Indiana Jones Last Crusade, and Fate of Atlantis. I have a MyTouch4G running Android 2.2.1, and ScummVM so far works great, although I get a black screen when I try to run LSL6. But, the IJ games run great. Multitouch works fine, all the buttons and the keyboard stuff runs well. However, there are no arrow keys!

I really think the arrow key is a big issue. There must be tons of games that could benefit or absolutely need arrow keys. The iPhone port says that arrow keys are done by swiping your finger across the touch screen in the direction of the arrow. That would be perfect for most android phones.

I'd be happy to work on it a bit and see if I can get something acceptable going, unless there is already a fix for this. I did find someone that mentioned using an alternative app, but it sounded like that wasn't recommended or supported.

Thoughts?
diesel360

Post by diesel360 »

I think adding gestures that translate to an arrow key is a good start. The situation where that may fail is when repetitive key presses are necessary. I think a <meta-key>+<key> translating to an arrow key would be better in those cases. Either way, if you are willing to put some effort into this, I am willing to get an ndk installed to assist.
drumhead

Post by drumhead »

yes id really love to have the arrow function somehow enabledto play Indy :-D...