ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > The Prince and the Coward Support Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
The Prince and the Coward Support
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
fischkopf



Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 91
Location: germany
The Prince and the Coward Support 

This is a Adventure-Game by Metropolis Software House from 1999 that was only released in Poland and Germany as "Galador".

Screenshots: http://www.adventure-archiv.com/g/galadorscreenshots.htm
Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqJ-KeSl_PE&feature=related

http://www.mobygames.com/game/prince-and-the-coward

The Problem with the game is, that there is no way to run it under modern operating systems so it would be an excellent candidate for scummvm, wouldn't it?

Is there any Chance someday scummvm will someday support this game?

Question

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:01 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
Longcat



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 964
 

Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:36 am 
 View user's profile Send private message
ICEknight



Joined: 07 Jun 2008
Posts: 44
 

quote:
Originally posted by Longcat
Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.
He might be looking for a more technical answer from a SCUMMVM developer's view... Rolling Eyes
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Longcat



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 964
 

What specifically is it you want to know?

I am not a ScummVM developer, but I am familiar enough with ScummVM's inner workings and philosophical scope to tell you that, yes, it is most definitely possible BUT requires a LOT of work. And of course someone willing to work on said game.

A more specific answer requires a more specific question.

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 30 Oct 2005
Posts: 1030
Location: Germany
 

quote:
Originally posted by ICEknight
quote:
Originally posted by Longcat
Anything is possible. What you need is someone willing to put in the thousands of hours of hard work that is required to support a game. And for free none the less. Are you?

If you are looking for a yes or no answer, don't hold your breath.
He might be looking for a more technical answer from a SCUMMVM developer's view... :roll:


It might not be thousands of hours, but it's at least in the right direction in case the copyright holders do not want to share their code. (And it is not using one of our supported engines by chance and no one ever noticed).
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:14 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
ICEknight



Joined: 07 Jun 2008
Posts: 44
 

quote:
Originally posted by LordHoto
(And it is not using one of our supported engines by chance and no one ever noticed).

That's what I was wondering, shame that it doesn't share any of those.
 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 5:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Seldon



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Posts: 97
Location: Poland
 

Prince and the Coward could be very similar to Teenagent, as they come from the same developers.

Though of course it's just a guess - I don't own the first one, so can't verify it.

 Reply with quote  
Post Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Mok



Joined: 09 Feb 2009
Posts: 6
 

I can probably still find the source to that game somewhere in my archives but as mentioned the game was released only in polish and german so finding a dev willing to work on it might be a problem. Not to mention the game's "engine" was written in assembler (it uses some crude scripting language for the game's logic though). I do not have any problems with giving the source to someone willing to work on it as I consider the code (and code alone) to be mine (the company that hired me failed to fulfill contractual obligations).

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:18 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
Longcat



Joined: 23 Sep 2006
Posts: 964
 

You should contact the dev team in #scummvm on freenode irc. Many of the devs are actually german so it might not be as hard to find someone to work on the game as you think. Especially with the source available.

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:40 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
john_doe
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 04 Nov 2005
Posts: 117
Location: Stuttgart, Germany
 

Nice, I started to work on this some time ago and made an extractor for the PTC files.
Later I stopped, though, mainly because it's not available in English. Also I'm not sure what our "policy" is with including non-English games if the games' engine isn't already supported.
Maybe some volunteer can be found who wants to translate the text from Polish/German to English if the game is maybe supported?

 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
clone2727
Retired


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 1592
Location: NJ, USA
 

quote:
Originally posted by john_doe
Also I'm not sure what our "policy" is with including non-English games if the games' engine isn't already supported.
I don't think we've faced this before. I couldn't see any problem with it though.
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fischkopf



Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 91
Location: germany
 

quote:
Originally posted by Mok
I can probably still find the source to that game somewhere in my archives but as mentioned the game was released only in polish and german so finding a dev willing to work on it might be a problem. Not to mention the game's "engine" was written in assembler (it uses some crude scripting language for the game's logic though). I do not have any problems with giving the source to someone willing to work on it as I consider the code (and code alone) to be mine (the company that hired me failed to fulfill contractual obligations).


that are good news. So scummVM support for this game, in the future is likely?
 Reply with quote  
Post Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:41 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
fischkopf



Joined: 22 Mar 2009
Posts: 91
Location: germany
 

Is there eny progress on this game?

 Reply with quote  
Post Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:06 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
sev
ScummVM Lead


Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Posts: 1945
 

No, but due to our successful experience with Sołtys, which we translated into other languages, we are willing to work on it. Just trying to reach Mok these days.


Eugene

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
md5
ScummVM Developer


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 2256
Location: Athens, Greece
 

There is a difference: this game seems to have a LOT of dialogue, the exact opposite of Soltys. So, it might need a bit more work to get translated.

 Reply with quote  
Post Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message
  Display posts from previous:      
Reply to topic

Forum Jump:
 
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next


Forum Rules:
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

 

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2006 phpBB Group
Forum design by ScummVM team, icons by raina
curved edge   curved edge