ScummVM on 3DS

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo DS port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

deurkruk

ScummVM on 3DS

Post by deurkruk »

Dear developers,

I am really hoping someone can look into the mouse not working on the 3DS. I know ScummVM is meant to be run on DS/DSi but I was hoping the problem might be simple or a small tweak. I downloaded the latest daily build but still no touchscreen/mouse working. I think when that problem is fixed it will run perfectly on the 3DS.

Kind regards,

Marco.
Monkey3DS

You will newer walk alone

Post by Monkey3DS »

I agree with you – a release that would work on the 3DS would be greatly appreciated.

Come on you Drunken Coders – sober up and make this happen and we will grant you a national holiday or something.
Buleste

Post by Buleste »

You are both going to have to wait until the 3DS is hacked. Lets see, it took over 2 years for the DSi to be hacked so for the 3DS I would say come back in 3 years and post then.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

So the DSi is hacked now?
Monkey3DS

Found a substitute!

Post by Monkey3DS »

What is there to hack?
Other pieces of software written for the DS works flawlessly. The only feature I have discovered that might not work on a 3DS - is when you combine moving graphics and the touch-feature on the lower screen. Should it really take 2 years to 'hack' the touch-screen for the 3DS?

I found this 'substitute' to ScummVM: http://dsx86.patrickaalto.com/

This emulator lets you run old DOS-games and it does the job really good to. I use the special plugin-version for the dsTWO-card and I have the following games up and running:

Monkey 1 & 2
Day of Tentacle (full speech version)
Sam & Max (full speech version)
Indiana Jones - Fate of Atlantis (full speech version)

But the above is true for this piece of software to - when you move the graphics to the lower-screen, the touch-feature does not function correctly. This means you have to rely on the D-pad as the 'mouse'.
mysoft

Post by mysoft »

This emulator lets you run old DOS-games and it does the job really good to. I use the special plugin-version for the dsTWO-card and I have the following games up and running:

just to clarify

THERE'S NO SPECIAL VERSION for dsTWO.... all it does is a shortcut for the normal DS version, i MUST always say that because the guys on the GBA temp went insante allowing that misinformation to carry on, is stupid, and sorry for my angry, that's a global contamination of dumbness which is doing very bad for the real possibilities of SuperCard dstwo extra power :)
Monkey3DS

mysoft is the ruler of the universe!

Post by Monkey3DS »

Just want to let everybody know that the universe has a new ruler - the one who knows it all - and his name is: mysoft!

Even though the developer himself claims that there are a SPECIAL VERSION for the dsTWO - mysoft knows better!!!

Here is an original text from the developers web-site - bare in mind though - mysoft knows that he is lying:

"
There are two versions of DSx86, the original DSx86.nds for all common flash carts, and a new version called DS2x86.plg for the SuperCard DSTwo flash cart. The difference is in the CPU and memory emulation available (and since DS2x86 is much newer, it is still missing some features that are supported in the original DSx86).
"

So to sum up - mysoft knows everything and should be treated as the omnipotent ruler of the world!
mysoft

Re: mysoft is the ruler of the universe!

Post by mysoft »

Monkey3DS wrote:Just want to let everybody know that the universe has a new ruler - the one who knows it all - and his name is: mysoft!

Even though the developer himself claims that there are a SPECIAL VERSION for the dsTWO - mysoft knows better!!!

Here is an original text from the developers web-site - bare in mind though - mysoft knows that he is lying:

"
There are two versions of DSx86, the original DSx86.nds for all common flash carts, and a new version called DS2x86.plg for the SuperCard DSTwo flash cart. The difference is in the CPU and memory emulation available (and since DS2x86 is much newer, it is still missing some features that are supported in the original DSx86).
"

So to sum up - mysoft knows everything and should be treated as the omnipotent ruler of the world!

oh lol i was talking about scummVM (which wasnt the first time i saw people saying about a dstwo version) , i missed the link for DSx86 and the word "special" made me jump to that conclusion earlier, my apologies :) in fact DS2x86 is one of the very very few unnoficial, supercard dstwo plugins...

so then new subject, is there are some game that the DS ScummVM doesnt run, that you believe DS2x86 will be able to run? (the games you mentioned, run on the ScummVM alredy doesnt? i dunno, because my interest is mostly on FullT and on Monkey Island) i believe, those who doesnt run on ScummVM (like full throttle) use too much resources to run emulated on DOS, (and hey i'm talking about DSi, altough ScummVM should be able to run those in DSi mode (16mb) just that isnt avaliable either, nor i have a compatible cart for that, yet :P)
Buleste

Re: mysoft is the ruler of the universe!

Post by Buleste »

mysoft wrote:so then new subject, is there are some game that the DS ScummVM doesnt run, that you believe DS2x86 will be able to run? (the games you mentioned, run on the ScummVM alredy doesnt? i dunno, because my interest is mostly on FullT and on Monkey Island) i believe, those who doesnt run on ScummVM (like full throttle) use too much resources to run emulated on DOS, (and hey i'm talking about DSi, altough ScummVM should be able to run those in DSi mode (16mb) just that isnt avaliable either, nor i have a compatible cart for that, yet :P)
Really you should open a new thread for this but one such game would be Full Throttle which at the moment requires a memory expansion in Slot-2. However if you have a iSmart MM you can run the dingux versions of SCUMMVM and run Full Throttle. The main benefit of a SCDS2 version would be it should allow .fla playback (although as the SCDS2 has a crappy SDK and terrible sound handling capabilities it would be poor quality).

To clarify everything so far on this thread.

There is NO 3DS hack and it will be at least 2 years before there is one (to hack the touch pad would require full access to 3DS mode).

The is NO SCDS2 version of SCUMMVVM and the developer has said before there probably never will.

You can run some old DOS games on DSx86 and DS2x86 and it may even be possible to run some through Windows 3.00a (more likely on the DSi (for those with Sudokuhax and iEvolution) and SCDS2 versions).
deurkruk

Post by deurkruk »

SCUMMVM DS FINALLY WORKS ON 3DS!!!!

Someone wrote a mod.

Please DEV's apply this mod on the current release!

filetrip dot net/f27205-ScummVM-DS-Unofficial-MOD-21012 dot html
Remember
MOD=UNOFFICIAL
Use at your own risk.
uomoartificiale

Post by uomoartificiale »

I wrote that "MOD"... ;)

For the original thread go here: http://gbatemp.net/topic/320542-working ... d-for-3ds/

In technical terms:
The touchscreen code of scummvm is not broken on the 3ds, or at least not completely. The problem is in dsmain.cpp where most of the stuff happens. The main issue is that IPC->touchZ1 always returns 0. I suppose IPC->touchZ1 reads the Z axis (so to speak) of the stylus, that is it reads pressure and perpendicular touch (correct me if I'm wrong).
The good news is that IPC->touchXpx and IPC->touchYpx still read the stylus coordinates just fine so all I did was to comment out occurrences of IPC->touchZ1 and in one instance replace it with a conjunct read of IPC->touchXpx and IPC->touchYpx both > 0 instead.
so I just slightly changed how scummvmDS handle the input, nothing fancy.

I hope someone could hack the 3ds so we can have a proper 3ds version using the full extent of the 3DS resources.
deurkruk

Post by deurkruk »

You cannot believe how thankful I am that you did!!!! I am finally able to run scummvm on my 3ds. I indeed hope that the 3ds will be officially supported.

3DS has 128MB ram. Can easily run the Full Throttle/Dig port. Can that build be hacked also? And also ignore if a memory pack is installed? I am curious what it will do on 3DS if that happens.
sev7en

Post by sev7en »

Great work uomoartificiale, I would like play the CD version of Full Throttle, which one is the right build?

Regards,
agentq
ScummVM Porter

Post by agentq »

Full Throttle and The Dig will now run on DSi (and hopefully 3DS too)

See here:
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=13485
nIxx

Post by nIxx »

Well since the 3DS is pretty open now are there any plans to port ScummVM btw. is maybe someone already working on it :) ?