Wrong MD5s for Macintosh-Demos (and Games?)

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Firebird

Wrong MD5s for Macintosh-Demos (and Games?)

Post by Firebird »

Hello developers,

I downloaded the Mac-demos for Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig. The demos work without a problem, but the MD5s of the Data-files do not match any of those values in the file tools/scumm-md5.txt.
I think it has something to do with a comment I found in engines/scumm/scumm.cpp.
The mac versions of Indy4, Sam&Max, DOTT, FT and The Dig used a special meta (container) file format to store the actual SCUMM data files. The rescumm utility used to be used to extract those files. While that is still possible, we now support reading those files directly. The first step is to check whether one of them is present (we do that here); the rest is handled by the ScummFile class and code in openResourceFile() (and in the Sound class, for MONSTER.SOU handling).
Since the rescumm-utility is not available anymore, you should change those MD5s to the Container-files, like you do it with the D64-files in the C64-versions.

The correct values for the files are:
Sam & Max Demo Data - 9f1f65d3426258a2768e1bcf85e4599e
Full Throttle Demo Data - be7ee4d2de086668e0a16b0cd5514faa
The Dig Demo Data - 7bc30eab02da1a6a1e4e9ede528e6be4

I do not have Indy4 and DOTT for Mac or any full version so I could not test it with them.

Greetings and keep up the great work,

Firebird
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Wrong MD5s for Macintosh-Demos (and Games?)

Post by sev »

Firebird wrote:I downloaded the Mac-demos for Sam & Max, Full Throttle and The Dig. The demos work without a problem, but the MD5s of the Data-files do not match any of those values in the file tools/scumm-md5.txt.
We limit md5 computation only to first megabyte (1024*1024 bytes) for performace reasons.

In other engines we even limit it to first 5000 bytes.

Eugene
Firebird

Post by Firebird »

After some weird problems,

Code: Select all

dd if=filename bs=1024 count=1024 | md5sum - 
does not work (for me), I now can confirm the MD5s after I cut the large files after 1MB and used only md5sum.
Maybe you should state the fact about the 1MB anywhere besides the MD5 lists to avoid confusion.

Thx, Firebird
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Firebird wrote:

Code: Select all

dd if=filename bs=1024 count=1024 | md5sum - 
head -c 1048576 could work better.

As of stating it somewhere. We state nowhere which files those md5s are, what md5 is, etc. I see no point in this. It was raised several times, even by me, that it would be really nice to have some sort of DB with list of every file and evet full md5 for all supported games. Still nobody even started to implement this.

Eugene