SCI progress updates

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

nathanel.mori

SCI progress updates

Post by nathanel.mori »

Hi, and congratulations on your successful release of version 1.3.

I see that you are currently working on many different engines, but I was wondering if you are making any significant progress on newer SCI versions. Can you guess when will games like GK1, PQ4 and Phantasmagoria be completable? (more or less)

Also, as for the speech + subtitles feature from the latest versions: Loved it! Is it being developed for other games as well?

Thanks in advance, guys! Keep it up!
md5
ScummVM Developer

Re: SCI progress updates

Post by md5 »

nathanel.mori wrote:Hi, and congratulations on your successful release of version 1.3.
Thanks, a lot of people have been involved in the SCI engine, and a lot of work has been done since the previous stable release.
nathanel.mori wrote:I see that you are currently working on many different engines, but I was wondering if you are making any significant progress on newer SCI versions. Can you guess when will games like GK1, PQ4 and Phantasmagoria be completable? (more or less)
The newer SCI versions (i.e. SCI2+) are a significant rewrite, and their current status is "playable with major glitches/bugs and missing features". The implementation of the newer SCI games will be done... when it's done, as usual :) We need more free time and helping hands.
nathanel.mori wrote:Also, as for the speech + subtitles feature from the latest versions: Loved it! Is it being developed for other games as well?
Glad you liked it :) As stated in other threads, this feature currently works in the CD versions of SQ4 and Freddy Pharkas, and will work in the future for the CD versions of KQ6 and LB2 (once someone, probably me, finds free time). The CD version of KQ5 is missing all text resources, so this feature isn't possible for that version. Finally, EcoQuest 1 CD and LSL6 CD already supported this feature without any further changes.

So, we're left with 2 games, LB2 and KQ6, which have similar scripts that handle speech and text. These require extensive changes in order to get this feature working there.
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

md5 wrote:
nathanel.mori wrote:Also, as for the speech + subtitles feature from the latest versions: Loved it! Is it being developed for other games as well?
Glad you liked it :) As stated in other threads, this feature currently works in the CD versions of SQ4 and Freddy Pharkas, and will work in the future for the CD versions of KQ6 and LB2 (once someone, probably me, finds free time). The CD version of KQ5 is missing all text resources, so this feature isn't possible for that version. Finally, EcoQuest 1 CD and LSL6 CD already supported this feature without any further changes.
Actually, GK1 also has that feature without any further changes (I know it's SCI2+, but so is LSL6CD).

Anyways, a couple of questions:

1. What about future games (SCI2+) that don't have that feature integrated, like PQ4?

2. I understand that KQ5 CD doesn't have the text resources. But why isn't it possible to create a ScummVM version that would let users copy the text resources from the floppy version into the directory of the CD version? Is the text so hard to integrate?

3. In the same spirit - A fan made a GK2 patch so that it would contain subtitles. All he did was create resources with text that he wrote from hearing. In the future where ScummVM will be able to run GK2 - wouldn't it be possible to integrate the fan-made texts so that ScummVM will recognize them?
Serious Callers Only
Got a warning

Post by Serious Callers Only »

Yeah i'd like the fan made GK2 text resources to be usable in scummvm (like the in the original engine).
kelmer

Post by kelmer »

nathanel.mori wrote: 3. In the same spirit - A fan made a GK2 patch so that it would contain subtitles. All he did was create resources with text that he wrote from hearing. In the future where ScummVM will be able to run GK2 - wouldn't it be possible to integrate the fan-made texts so that ScummVM will recognize them?
It was not just "create resources with text he wrote from hearing", the patch involved using some script resources from the Brazilian version of the game which, indeed, originally included subtitles.

I don't know how correct (legally speaking) would using that patch be for the ScummVM team.
Mim

Post by Mim »

kelmer wrote:I don't know how correct (legally speaking) would using that patch be for the ScummVM team.
I am not a lawyer but guess they will commit most terrible crime in the world if they support that patch. :)
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

Mim wrote:
kelmer wrote:I don't know how correct (legally speaking) would using that patch be for the ScummVM team.
I am not a lawyer but guess they will commit most terrible crime in the world if they support that patch. :)
Well, I'm sure that genocide isn't the only crime available out there, but it definitely seems to me like GK2 subs are something worth looking into. Maybe it's even a chance to let us - the non-technical ScummVM users - help in the development, by letting us update the subtitles (as it seems to me like they require a handful of proof-reading).

As for KQ5, I doubt that there's a legal problem letting users "borrow" text resources from the floppy version and integrate them with the CD version. Anyone who bought both versions (and anyone who bought the old KQ collection DID buy both versions) should be able to do so.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

That's not true at all. You'll find no floppy version of KQ5 in any King's Quest collection.
Les

Post by Les »

MusicallyInspired wrote:That's not true at all. You'll find no floppy version of KQ5 in any King's Quest collection.
Hm, well, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there a floppy version of KQ5 in King's Quest 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition from 1994 ( or was it 1995 )? :shock:
Collector

Post by Collector »

Les wrote:Hm, well, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there a floppy version of KQ5 in King's Quest 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition from 1994 ( or was it 1995 )? :shock:
Only in French. It also had the German KQ6 floppy version.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Les wrote:
MusicallyInspired wrote:That's not true at all. You'll find no floppy version of KQ5 in any King's Quest collection.
Hm, well, maybe I'm wrong, but wasn't there a floppy version of KQ5 in King's Quest 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition from 1994 ( or was it 1995 )? :shock:
There is a KQ5 floppy in this collection: http://www.mobygames.com/game/kings-que ... erId,6270/

It's a "French" floppy, but you can have English texts with it just as well (for example by just selecting English in the ScummVM launcher IIRC).
Collector

Post by Collector »

That is the 2nd release of the Collector's Edition, which is what we were talking about.
LordHoto
ScummVM Developer

Post by LordHoto »

Collector wrote:That is the 2nd release of the Collector's Edition, which is what we were talking about.
True, but while I was writing my post yours hadn't been there, which is why I repeated your statement. Anyway as I said it is definitely possible to get English subtitles in KQ5 with that release.
nathanel.mori

Post by nathanel.mori »

OK.... so getting back to the subject - will it be possible (both legally and technically) to let users who own both versions have the resources integrated so that ScummVM will support running both text and speech?
fischkopf

Post by fischkopf »

is there any chance you will support the high-res version on police quest 4?