What is the best music standard for each LucasArts game?

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

It should be noted that there is an error on the Secret of Monkey Island redbook soundtrack. The following the shopkeeper theme in the MIDI soundtrack has some extra notes in the main bass line (as compared to the Melee Forest theme) that the redbook soundtrack left out. The only difference in the redbook soundtrack is an extra pad in the background rather than the expanded bass line. The Special Edition rectified this but I think they screwed up the Melee Forest theme by making the background strings play half as slow as the main bass line which makes it sound very odd. The CD version also has extra themes that aren't in the MIDI soundtrack, though.

So, in my opinion, I think the best version of the soundtrack is the Special Edition. If you rip the soundtrack you can replace the DOS redbook tracks with the special edition tracks and play it normally in ScummVM. Or you can use the Ultimate Classic SMI patch on the Special Edition to have the speech and soundtrack from the special edition but have the classic graphics from the original VGA version.

Also, regarding DOTT, I think the soundtrack sounds superior on the MT-32. But that can be rounded down to a preference thing. I'm of the opinion it was scored for the MT-32, even if it has GM support.
dafioram

Post by dafioram »

Is there any chance we can add gog sections to the datafiles wiki for Zak and Loom?
In particular I would like to add the default audio files.

Loom (GOG)
DISK01.LEC
*.LFL
CDDA.SOU

and

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (GOG)
*.LFL
Track*.mp3

I realize there are different formats for the sound files, but these are the specific audio files that the GOG versions have.
MetaFox

Post by MetaFox »

dafioram wrote:Is there any chance we can add gog sections to the datafiles wiki for Zak and Loom?
In particular I would like to add the default audio files.

Loom (GOG)
DISK01.LEC
*.LFL
CDDA.SOU

and

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (GOG)
*.LFL
Track*.mp3

I realize there are different formats for the sound files, but these are the specific audio files that the GOG versions have.
That's a good idea, thanks. I'll add those (plus note that the CDDA.sou for Loom is in the Steam version too).