curse of monkey island

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

martin1979

curse of monkey island

Post by martin1979 »

Why the curse of monkey island doesn´t work on my n-gage qd???
It detect by the scumm but when i put star doesn´t work
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

It's probably due to the screen size (640x480) because the Broken Sword games don't work either AFAIK.
martin1979

Post by martin1979 »

so, what i have to do to finally work??? nothing??
Jimbob

Post by Jimbob »

Well, I don't know for certain (I don't have a Symbian OS machine). You could read the first sticky post in this form and follow the links to the Wiki site for the Symbian OS port, this has more information for which games are compatible with each device.
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

There are a couple of issues.
1. Screen resolution.. 640x480 scaled down to 320x200 or 208x176 in real (well well) time.. Will make things very slow
2. Movies.. movies are tricky due to the fact how file handles can't be shared between threads in symbian os. Might very well crash
3. memory.. In your ngage you might have up to 10-11 mb free before loading scummvm.. afterloading around 6-7 or so. So running all this 640x480 graphics (only one screenbuffer is around 0,6 mb in 640x480) will certainly lead to an out of memory situation

What will perhaps lead to getting it to run on later S60 models
* They have more memory avaialable (at least 20 mb free before loading).
* They are faster (more than twice the speed of your n-gage)
* Movies.. well that has to be fixed and tested in the codebase, something which has n't been the highest priority right now.

And as for listing the games, we should have a separate column for the later scumm games, i.e COMI.
martin1979

Post by martin1979 »

so? there are no solution....
ok thanks anyway!!!
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well.. solution == By a newer better phone... and not even that is a guarantee that it will work. If you check the PSP section, you will see that even the PSP running at 333 mhz has some problems running COMI, same for Palm devices and Pocket PC devices. So COMI needs some good computing power to make it run.

But still there are some good old classics which you can run on your phone
martin1979

Post by martin1979 »

well thanks i kwnow there are a lot of exelent games like moneky island 1 and loom...
Hey another curiosity scumm in a future version could be play games like alone in the dark or cruise for a corpse??? or there is a insanity to think that?
thanks