ScummVM on HTC Desire Z

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Shallowain

ScummVM on HTC Desire Z

Post by Shallowain »

First I really have to thank for the awesome program you created.

Now that this is out of the way, lets get to the meat of the subject. I recently installed ScummVM on my HTC Desire Z but found some quirks and possibly bugs.

The first problem was, that the Android Market tells me that the desire Z is not supported, so I had to do the manual install from the package at this site. You might want to look into this.

My HTC Desire Z has some problems with the virtual and hardware keyboard. The Fn enter and shift keys of the hardware keyboard do not work from the start making it impossible to enter numbers capital letters or symbols. Then the virtual keyboard does not work in scummVM. At all. It just never pops up, regardless what I do.

BUT, longpress of menu has an effect, suddenly the Fn shift and enter keys work. that effect is persistent as long as ScummVM doesn't crash. If its gone you can reenable it by longpressing menu again.

I tried this with MI1 (entering names for savegames) and gold rush (regular sierra interface).

The developer might consider this a bug report, Desire Z users as a hint how you might get the keyboard fully working. I don't know if its a one off glitch or a common problem,so YMMV.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

When you say "package from this site", are you talking about the 1.2.x binary, or one of the current daily builds?
The Android port got some substantial improvements in recent weeks, and thus I would strongly recommend trying the latest build from <http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html>.

As for the market, we are aware of the issues, and this will hopefully be resolved with 1.3.0.
Shallowain

Post by Shallowain »

Version 1.2.1
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

the input code was completely revamped.
try this version: http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=10066
Shallowain

Post by Shallowain »

I installed the nightly build today and report, that the virtual keyboard now works as it should, and the hardware keyboard does as well, except for the copy protection of MI2 The virtual keyboard works there though, so thats not a big deal.