Broken Sword 1 intro problems

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Rabid

Broken Sword 1 intro problems

Post by Rabid »

Hi! I am new here and have searched everywhere for any information regarding my problem but without any luck. I own a LG GT540 Android-phone which I run the ScummVM for android found on this page: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/builds.html
I use this build because on the official build the game runs at half speed it seems.

The problem I have is that I get the video working perfectly! (even if the actual in-video text is in french) But I get no sound atall until I actually start playing the game, then everything works as it should.

I have downloaded both the cutscene-pack and the music/speech-addon found in the download section but without any luck. I have tried the .ogg-, .fla- and .mp3-files that I have found on different places but still no sound! The folders I have are Music, Smackshi and Speech. I tried to create a new folder called Video and placed all the cutscenes in it, plus the music/speech-addon and made ScummVM point to that folder as an extra path. It still only plays the video though.

How do I get the sound of the intro and cutscenes to play like it should? It really brings the best feeling to this perfected game! I would not want to be without it.

I have tried everything I found on forums and I also tried removing the game from ScummVM and added it again to see if it worked but it didnt.
And just so you know, I have copied the files from my bought cd's. They are part of a Revolution Software-pack of games containing Lure of the Temptress, Beneath a Steel Sky, Broken Sword 1 and Broken Sword 2, if that is of any help.

Thanks in advance!
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

One thing that may or may not be significant is that ScummVM looks for the Smacker (.smk) version of the cutscene first. Only if it can't find that one will it look for the DXA (.dxa) version.

On the other hand, the only reason I can think of for the audio to fail - at least with the deskop version of ScummVM - would be trying to use the DXA cutscenes without the audio files. (The .dxa files contain the video only, so the audio file is necessary unless the cutscene is supposed to be silent.)
Rabid

Post by Rabid »

Thanks for the reply!

I tried to play a little bit further in the game and hear if any other of the cutscenes were missing sound, and the one where he walks down the sewers did have sound.

As I was typing this reply, I tried to change the name of the intro.smk to something else so that the intro.dxa would run instead and now it is working! :) The only problem now is that the subtitles are quite off, but that is not a big problem.

Thanks for the help!

Edit: It wasn't the subtitles that were off, it was the sound that was 3-4 seconds earlier than the video. The music for the Revolution logo started several seconds before the logo was shown on the video.
Another problem to be solved I guess :P
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Rabid wrote:Edit: It wasn't the subtitles that were off, it was the sound that was 3-4 seconds earlier than the video. The music for the Revolution logo started several seconds before the logo was shown on the video.
Another problem to be solved I guess :P
That is normal, the intro video of Broken Sword 1 starts with a black screen, with George speaking in the background
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Also, the issue you're having seems to be that you're using a newer version of Broken Sword 1. That one is using a sound encoding for the intro video that isn't yet supported. The sound in the rest of the videos should be working fine, as you said so yourself
Rabid

Post by Rabid »

I understand, but if the encoding is the problem, how come the sound gets further and further infront of what the video shows? The sound stopped almost 1 minute before the introvideo ended. Shouldn't it be the other way around then?

What I mean is that if it is an unsupported format it would take longer for it to encode rather than making the sound play faster than it should. I can see no problem with the speed of the video and when I tried a 320x200 version of the introvideo it still played it at the same speed. So I think the sound must be the problem then.

Would it help if I found another version of the intro? Though I am not sure it would actually make any difference because I have already tried 3 different ones.
md5
ScummVM Developer

Post by md5 »

Perhaps the current SMK video playing code isn't optimized enough for the Android platform. Does it play correctly on a desktop platform?
Rabid

Post by Rabid »

Well, since the original .smk file was not working, I had to use the .dxa file in the cutscene-pack found on the download-section.

When I tried playing it on the computer and using the exact same files as I have on my mobile it was working exactly as it should. So the problem must be with the Android-port?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

original smk+ogg works fine on my pad.
dxa+flac works too, but video stutters a little. cpu usage is more than fine though, seems like the dxa player is to blame.

anyway, i dont see the sync issues. i see two possibilities:
1) your phone can't handle it
2) the built you're using has a bug

i fixed a timer issue recently, try a fresh build (same link)