Port progress & nightly builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apa-sf

Post by apa-sf »

dhewg wrote:
apa-sf wrote: When I am playing a game in scummvm and someone will call me after the call I cannot go back to the game - when I resume scummvm I only see blank screen, sometimes hear the sound playing. The same thing happens when I will press home button to go to the main menu and then back to the scummvm.
that should work, especially the latter (don't have a sim card inserted in my pad atm). hitting home and going back works fine here. anyone else seeing this problem?
Logcat log would help? I can install it and make a log after the next build of scummvm will be released and still will have such problem with it.

And regarding the controls: in The Dig I am in place where I have to hold left-click for a longer time (energetic bridge location or sth like that near the museum with panels). When I hold the tap for a longer time it is triggered as a right/middle click. Can I achieve longer left-click with current controls?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Yes please, get a logcat dump.
Maybe a drag&drop works on that dig scene? Just drag a little. I think that's the only way to hold the press with the touch controls.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

apa-sf wrote:And regarding the controls: in The Dig I am in place where I have to hold left-click for a longer time (energetic bridge location or sth like that near the museum with panels). When I hold the tap for a longer time it is triggered as a right/middle click. Can I achieve longer left-click with current controls?
hm no, my suggestion doesn't work. without a dpad-center/trackball button this isn't possible atm.
but i think that proofs that we need some solutions for all the missing mappings. for now, copy the savegame to your pc to overcome the situation, save afterwards and copy it back to your droid. im the meantime, i'll think of something...

ps: if there's another problematic situation, can you put a savegame somewhere? its way easier for me to look into it then
Bobbin Threadbare

Post by Bobbin Threadbare »

dhewg wrote:
the ideas are good. it's a bit of work to add configurable on-screen buttons, but if we can get around it, i'd prefer to stay as pure as possible - meaning not adding widgets on the game screen. if there are devices out there where we have no other choice (lack of buttons or whatever), lets just say this is a last resort :)

we compile the android port for the 1.6 API, which means you can run it on anything >= v1.6. but it also means we can't access functionality which was introduced in later versions. bumping that version is indeed not very appealing, because it wouldn't run on lower versions then.
technically, we can use java reflection to access those higher APIs dynamically at runtime, but its a little annoying and it obviously wouldn't solve any problems on devices where those are not available.

but anyway, are there such devices? currently we have right click on camera, search and touch-screen long-tap.
Sorry for late reply,

My device "Galaxy S" one of the most sold androids doesn't have a search or camera button, so only option at present is to use the long tap. I understand not wanting to use a higher API or release multiple versions of the emulator but I believe at some point it will be a good idea to either drop support for 1.6 or use java reflection to support the newer functionality as most devices being used are on 2.1 or higher now, and many of them (like mine) are (unfortunately) following apple in design and not installing a camera or search button.

I think for the emulator to be ideal it would allow 2 finger right click on supported devices and assignable right click (search/camera/trackball etc) which most older devices have. That way pretty much all devices will have an alternative to the long tap (maybe have a toggle in options to be able to turn it off - helpful for situations discussed above in The Dig)

Whatever happens the android port of SCUMMVM is excellent and I am really impressed with the work you have done on it, I tried going through the code and it was way above my knowledge (too used to MS and c#)
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

Playing "I have no mouth and I must scream" using the nightly builds, I have a few save games that crash the nightly builds of 25/03 and 03/04, but work fine under v1.2.1. Are you interested?

And any decisions on mapping the function keys to symbols? Thanks!
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Bobbin:
there're still alot of 1.6 users, don't let the google graphs fool you :)
if using multitouch, i would just use reflection. but i think its not enough to solve all input shortcomings.
there's this right click issue, then we need long left clicks for (at least) the dig, and function keys are not mapped at all.
i'm tending solve that with some sort of context menu - to toggle various things (like: is a tap/click a left or right click) or issuing rarely used key presses like function keys...
but thats just an idea. i'm all ears for nicer solutions.

and thanks for the kind words :)

Haplo:
definitely. well, if its a port problem. did you try it on your desktop? if it crashes there too its an engine problem.
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

dhewg wrote:Bobbin:
Sure, in absolute numbers, there are still quite some, but of course the fraction of the total market they form is growing smaller and smaller...
Or do you have a more sophisticated / complete data base / survey than Google's at hand saying otherwise? :)
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

fingolfin wrote:
dhewg wrote:Bobbin:
Sure, in absolute numbers, there are still quite some, but of course the fraction of the total market they form is growing smaller and smaller...
Or do you have a more sophisticated / complete data base / survey than Google's at hand saying otherwise? :)
no, i was thinking absolute numbers. it's just that i've seen multiple statements based on this graph, where "devices that have accessed Android Market within a 14-day period" is not considered and it seems likely that droid owners with older versions access the market less over time.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

I took a look at multitouch support again, and it turns out we get a couple of related events even with the 1.6 API. Reflection is only required for more sophisticated support.

Tomorrows nightly will map right clicks to a two-finger tap, while three fingers maps to a middle click. The event's we're getting is not enough for drag&drop, but so far so good...
Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks dhewg,

I'll give it a try right away.

EDIT - It works great thanks for the update.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

nice. does it work perfectly for you?

i noticed this on my galaxy tab: when i tap with a 2nd finger close to the 1st, it doesn't recognize is as multitouch, but as movement of the 1st finger. this results in unwanted cursor movement. the distance between the finger need to cross a certain boundary to make it work reliable.

i guess it depends on the device and/or touchscreen driver how events are interpreted...
Bobbin Threadbare

dhewg wrote:nice. does it work perfectly for you?

i noticed this on my galaxy tab: when i tap with a 2nd finger close to the 1st, it doesn't recognize is as multitouch, but as movement of the 1st finger. this results in unwanted cursor movement. the distance between the finger need to cross a certain boundary to make it work reliable.

i guess it depends on the device and/or touchscreen driver how events are interpreted...
It seems to work perfectly for me. It must just be as you say the touch screen thinking the first finger has moved and not any problem with your code. For me I use my thumbs to control the movement so when I do a right click I place my second thumb down (i.e. at the other end of the screen) I did notice that it doesn't always pick up a 2 finger click if you place both down at the same time and works much more reliably if you place the second down afte rthe first. This is fine for me as I use finger 1 to move cursor and then if I want a left click I tap with finger one, if I want right click I tap with finger 2.

All we need now for perfection (for me anyway) is to be able to pick up second finger down as right click down and then second finger up as right click up, plus still tracking finger 1 for movement e.g. to allow right click drag.
neevak

Post by neevak »

The nightly build works great on my Nook Color (Cyanogenmod 7 RC4 Phiredrop)...
My only problem is getting the virtual keyboard, seeing as how the device doesn't have an actual menu button and I am using ButtonSavior to get the needed buttons... Unfortunately the long-press on my virtual 'menu' button gets parsed through as a regular press since ButtonSavior doesn't seem to distinguish short and long presses on virtual keys.

Is there any way of getting virtual keyboard without having to hijack my volume keys by reassigning them at the system level? Perhaps implementing pinch gesture in the next build? Or just providing the option to use either the search or camera button instead (I'm pretty sure people can use the 10 other ways to invoke a right click, am I right? lol)

Thanks
chrisis

Post by chrisis »

Hey, I finally got an Android device and managed to install the 1.2.1 build fine. However, I'd like to test the daily build (especially for the multitouch features, as my device seems to lack buttons, notably I can't bring up the inventory in COMI) but the buildbot seems to be down (or I'm just blind?). Is there anywhere a reasonably recent build around?

Also I've previously used ScummVM on iOS devices and really liked the multitouch gestures there. Might it be possible implementing those on Android too (most Android devices have multitouch after all) or is there some hardware limitation preventing this?
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

chrisis wrote:Hey, I finally got an Android device and managed to install the 1.2.1 build fine. However, I'd like to test the daily build (especially for the multitouch features, as my device seems to lack buttons, notably I can't bring up the inventory in COMI) but the buildbot seems to be down (or I'm just blind?). Is there anywhere a reasonably recent build around?
Buildbot is not down: http://buildbot.scummvm.org/
But the builds.html page seems to have been accidentally deleted. We'll work on restoring it.
chrisis wrote:Also I've previously used ScummVM on iOS devices and really liked the multitouch gestures there. Might it be possible implementing those on Android too (most Android devices have multitouch after all) or is there some hardware limitation preventing this?
This is answered just a few posts above yours. I guess it is always a good idea to read a thread before replying to it 8)