Port progress & nightly builds

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Android port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

apa-sf

Post by apa-sf »

apa-sf wrote:Hardware right-click button is also a quite good option. Personally I would not mind if I could setup the camera button as a right-click.
Yes - now I definitely want an option for a hardware right-click button. In Full Throttle I cannot go past Old Mines Road (some simple fights with other bikers on the road) as I am unable to switch weapons by right-clicking (I am holding and holding touch-down but after release it is not recognized as right-click in this part of the game at least).
badenglishihave

Post by badenglishihave »

I'm running Liberty ROM 1.5 on top of Android 2.2.1 on the Droid X. I can install both the stable and nightly builds of ScummVM, but when I launch the app it freezes on a black screen after showing the loading progress bar animation. I can get back to the home screen but the response time is very slow so I suspect ScummVM is eating up a lot of CPU time. If I try to go back into ScummVM without killing the process it shows the black screen again, and if I go back to the home screen then back to the app a few times it crashes my phone.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

apa-sf wrote:
apa-sf wrote:Hardware right-click button is also a quite good option. Personally I would not mind if I could setup the camera button as a right-click.
Yes - now I definitely want an option for a hardware right-click button. In Full Throttle I cannot go past Old Mines Road (some simple fights with other bikers on the road) as I am unable to switch weapons by right-clicking (I am holding and holding touch-down but after release it is not recognized as right-click in this part of the game at least).
I don't recall how that works, but you should still be able to issue a right click. Got a savegame for that?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

badenglishihave wrote:I'm running Liberty ROM 1.5 on top of Android 2.2.1 on the Droid X. I can install both the stable and nightly builds of ScummVM, but when I launch the app it freezes on a black screen after showing the loading progress bar animation. I can get back to the home screen but the response time is very slow so I suspect ScummVM is eating up a lot of CPU time. If I try to go back into ScummVM without killing the process it shows the black screen again, and if I go back to the home screen then back to the app a few times it crashes my phone.
Can you install "alogcat" from market, start scummvm (and wait a little), start alogcat and mail me that log?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

apa-sf wrote:
nevermind, its reproducible on the first bike ride too.
try camera/right button on the next nightly.
Bobbin Threadbare

Post by Bobbin Threadbare »

Hello I cant figure out how to bring up the on screen keyboard. Using galaxy S. Any help very much appreciated.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Haplo wrote:First of all, thanks for your efforts. The Android port works really great.

Are there any plans for configurable mappings for the function keys? In v1.2.1 it mentions Shift+Numbers are used for F1-F10. I presume it is still the same in the latest nightly build (I couldn't really say by looking at the source code). Unfortunately this does not work with all the phones, for example the ones that don't support multi-touch. Or for example on Huawei phones (Android 2.2.x) it is not possible to press Shift+Numbers. After switching to the numbers keyboard the Shift Key changes to ALT, and pressing it switches the keyboard to symbols.
Many games (such as Discworld) use the function keys to access in game menu, and without it it is not possible to save.

Thanks a lot!
The shift modifier + number doesn't map to function keys anymore. I ran into the issue myself, but I'm not sure how to solve it yet...
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:Hello I cant figure out how to bring up the on screen keyboard. Using galaxy S. Any help very much appreciated.
README.Android wrote:Menu button held for 0.5s: Toggle virtual keyboard
Bobbin Threadbare

Thanks, I will refer to the README :D from now on. Btw the touchpad type movement is excellent. Thanks for the hard work.

Dunno if this is a lot of work but would it be possible to have right click linked to putting a second finger on screen while one is down? and then still have movement of mouse linked to first finger movement (or maybe second finger movement - actually I think second finger movement will give a better user experience)?
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Bobbin Threadbare wrote:Dunno if this is a lot of work but would it be possible to have right click linked to putting a second finger on screen while one is down? and then still have movement of mouse linked to first finger movement (or maybe second finger movement - actually I think second finger movement will give a better user experience)?
I had similar ideas, but that would be restricted to devices with multitouch support then. And API-wise, multitouch is not available on Android 1.6 - which is the minimum version for ScummVM.
Bobbin Threadbare

dhewg wrote:
Bobbin Threadbare wrote:Dunno if this is a lot of work but would it be possible to have right click linked to putting a second finger on screen while one is down? and then still have movement of mouse linked to first finger movement (or maybe second finger movement - actually I think second finger movement will give a better user experience)?
I had similar ideas, but that would be restricted to devices with multitouch support then. And API-wise, multitouch is not available on Android 1.6 - which is the minimum version for ScummVM.
Rats so the only way to see this would be through an unofficial build? No easy way to put in a hardware / firmware check? It is still excellent how it is but can see playing games with a lot of right clicking (like FT and S&M) being tricky on devices with no hardware buttons to use. How about a right click on screen button?

It would be a complete over hall of the interface but as most games at native aspect are 4:3 maybe but in a toggable set of buttons to fill the right or left hand side of the screen, and could put things like toggle keyboard, right click etc etc (use long hold menu to switch between streched full screen and native aspect + options)

Just some ideas I'm sure far too much work but I thought worth mentioning

EDIT - Sorry just to get it straight is the main problem that you have to use 1.6 api which doesn't support multi touch? Meaning the only way to support multi touch is to do more than one release, "old devices release" and "new devices release" or to stop supporting old devices. I suppose neither of those options are very appealing.
apa-sf

Post by apa-sf »

I did not wanted to post that at first time as I hopped that it is only a random error but know I can say that it happens practically every time:

When I am playing a game in scummvm and someone will call me after the call I cannot go back to the game - when I resume scummvm I only see blank screen, sometimes hear the sound playing. The same thing happens when I will press home button to go to the main menu and then back to the scummvm.

I do not know if I am the only person with this problem.

Using build downloaded over a week ago, Xperia X8 Android 2.1 update 1.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

Bobbin Threadbare wrote: Just some ideas I'm sure far too much work but I thought worth mentioning

EDIT - Sorry just to get it straight is the main problem that you have to use 1.6 api which doesn't support multi touch? Meaning the only way to support multi touch is to do more than one release, "old devices release" and "new devices release" or to stop supporting old devices. I suppose neither of those options are very appealing.
the ideas are good. it's a bit of work to add configurable on-screen buttons, but if we can get around it, i'd prefer to stay as pure as possible - meaning not adding widgets on the game screen. if there are devices out there where we have no other choice (lack of buttons or whatever), lets just say this is a last resort :)

we compile the android port for the 1.6 API, which means you can run it on anything >= v1.6. but it also means we can't access functionality which was introduced in later versions. bumping that version is indeed not very appealing, because it wouldn't run on lower versions then.
technically, we can use java reflection to access those higher APIs dynamically at runtime, but its a little annoying and it obviously wouldn't solve any problems on devices where those are not available.

but anyway, are there such devices? currently we have right click on camera, search and touch-screen long-tap.
dhewg
ScummVM Porter

Post by dhewg »

apa-sf wrote: When I am playing a game in scummvm and someone will call me after the call I cannot go back to the game - when I resume scummvm I only see blank screen, sometimes hear the sound playing. The same thing happens when I will press home button to go to the main menu and then back to the scummvm.
that should work, especially the latter (don't have a sim card inserted in my pad atm). hitting home and going back works fine here. anyone else seeing this problem?
Haplo

Post by Haplo »

dhewg wrote:
Haplo wrote:First of all, thanks for your efforts. The Android port works really great.

Are there any plans for configurable mappings for the function keys? In v1.2.1 it mentions Shift+Numbers are used for F1-F10. I presume it is still the same in the latest nightly build (I couldn't really say by looking at the source code). Unfortunately this does not work with all the phones, for example the ones that don't support multi-touch. Or for example on Huawei phones (Android 2.2.x) it is not possible to press Shift+Numbers. After switching to the numbers keyboard the Shift Key changes to ALT, and pressing it switches the keyboard to symbols.
Many games (such as Discworld) use the function keys to access in game menu, and without it it is not possible to save.

Thanks a lot!
The shift modifier + number doesn't map to function keys anymore. I ran into the issue myself, but I'm not sure how to solve it yet...
Thanks. One way is to map some symbols that are not usually used in the games to function keys, for example %->F1, &->F2 and so on.