Slowing Down AGI?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArthurWalden

Slowing Down AGI?

Post by ArthurWalden »

I'm playing KQ3 and the introduction goes by quite fast on modern computer, even on ScummVM. (This is a little exacerbated by the fact that I enjoy reading the games' dialogue text out loud, when I am alone in the room.) Is there a way to slow ScummVM down?
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Slowing Down AGI?

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ArthurWalden wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:57 pm I'm playing KQ3 and the introduction goes by quite fast on modern computer, even on ScummVM. (This is a little exacerbated by the fact that I enjoy reading the games' dialogue text out loud, when I am alone in the room.) Is there a way to slow ScummVM down?
I don't know of any. I mean, you can slow down the entire game but not - I believe - until after the intro has finished.

But it looks like at least the development version of ScummVM is showing the text boxes for much too brief a time. E.g. from what I understand, the "Gwydion is a lonely lad of seventeen ..." is supposed to be displayed for 31 half-seconds, i.e. 15.5 seconds. But it's gone in less than 8 seconds. But I'm not really familiar with the AGI engine, so I'll probably have to ask someone who knows more about it. I could easily be wrong.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

I think I see now. The function calculates for how many "clock cycles" the message box is displayed, but it's calculating it with the assumption that one second is 20 clock cycles. That may have been true once (several years ago?), but now it appears to be 40.
ArthurWalden

Post by ArthurWalden »

Guess I'd better report it as an effective bug, then.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

ArthurWalden wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 10:53 pm Guess I'd better report it as an effective bug, then.
I committed a fix - hopefully the correct one - yesterday, so the nightly builds should be easier to read from now on.

Edit: See https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/15126 for details
envisaged0ne

Post by envisaged0ne »

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, but where do you go to download the nightly builds for windows? I checked daily builds, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore. unless I'm completely missing something
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »