How to extract MIDI files for The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

yorkzhang

How to extract MIDI files for The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Post by yorkzhang »

I am a fan of the game <The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo> and I really like its music.
But it is very challenging to extract the MIDI files. I tried to use Scumm Revisited to do that but failed.
Does anyone know how to do it properly? Converting sound recording to midi does not work for me as the quality is poor.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: How to extract MIDI files for The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Post by Praetorian »

Have you looked into the --dump-midi command line switch?

Code: Select all

--dump-midi

Dumps MIDI events to ‘dump.mid’ while game is running. Overwrites file if it already exists.
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/adva ... ml#options
yorkzhang

Re: How to extract MIDI files for The Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Rose Tattoo

Post by yorkzhang »

Thanks a lot! It works very well.
One thing to notice is that I need to use administrator permission to open the CMD to run the command with --dump-midi parameter, otherwise it will fail to save the midi file.
The other thing is that I need to run the game to get different midi music in different scene, it is totally fine for me.
Thanks again!
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

The admin permission / execution rights elevation should be required only if your ScummVM executable is in a folder with restricted write permissions, since dump-midi needs to write data to a new file in that folder.

Folders under Program Files are such locations with restricted write permissions, so I believe that's why you'd need to set administration execution for the command.

For my case, with ScummVM "installed" in a common folder (and not under Program Files), admin rights are not required for this command.