Grim Fandango

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Nintendo Wii port

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Dubya

Grim Fandango

Post by Dubya »

Having some issues getting Grim Fandango to run on my Wii.

I'm running the latest version of ScummVM (2.8.0) on both Windows and Wii and have all the same games set up and working on both systems.

With Grim, I have all .LAB files, GRIM.TAB and the 1.01 Update Path.exe in the same folder ... again, it runs perfect on PC.

When I run the game on Wii, it will try to verify the game data files but after a couple minutes will give an error "Unable to create renderer!" followed by a crash dump.

It's my understanding that ResidualVM has merged with ScummVM but perhaps the Wii is unable to play Grim Fandango?

Any help would be appreciated.
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Grim Fandango

Post by sev »

I think, that game will not work on Wii, because it is 3D-based, and so far, we have our opengl3d renderer working well only on Win/Mac/Lin, Android, and iOS.

Eugene
Dubya

Post by Dubya »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Why does the Wiki for ResidualVM Wii mention that Grim Fandango will specifically work on the system?

https://www.gamebrew.org/wiki/ResidualVM_Wii

This old thread on GBA also talks about it working.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/residualvm- ... er.342214/

... they mentioned that it stutters but is still playable.

Apologies, I'm relatively new to this ... just wanting to know why it would run on ResidualVM over ten years ago on Wii but not the newest "merged" version of ScummVM

Thanks again.
Dubya

Post by Dubya »

Can confirm that Grim Fandango works on the the Wii using ResidualVM Wii (v0.02)

I used the same files I mentioned in my first post

So if anyone can explain why the "merged" version of ScummVM Wii (v2.8.0) can't play it or how they were able to, it would be much appreciated

Thanks