Can't start games due to save game path...

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

scoriae

Can't start games due to save game path...

Post by scoriae »

I downloaded the Ash Pines demo and purchased Red Bow from Stranga.

When I try to play the games in ScummVM, it states
ERROR: Invalid attempt to create file - /saves/ashpines-demo.999
or
ERROR: Invalid attempt to create file - /saves/redbow.999

I am using ScummVM 2.8.0 (official release), however I tried a few different daily builds and got the same results.

I tried searching the issue, but I wasn't seeing anyone else with this particular error.

Thanks,
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Can't start games due to save game path...

Post by Praetorian »

scoriae wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:52 pm I downloaded the Ash Pines demo and purchased Red Bow from Stranga.

When I try to play the games in ScummVM, it states
ERROR: Invalid attempt to create file - /saves/ashpines-demo.999
or
ERROR: Invalid attempt to create file - /saves/redbow.999

I am using ScummVM 2.8.0 (official release), however I tried a few different daily builds and got the same results.

I tried searching the issue, but I wasn't seeing anyone else with this particular error.

Thanks,
As far as I know, when launching an AGS game, a save file for the game with ".999" file extension is created as the "restart point" for the game. This is expected and intentional. It is not related to the autosave feature.

However, in your case it fails to create this file. Maybe it's an write access issue for your saved games folder? What platform is this on?

On Windows 10, I don't get this issue with ScummVM 2.8.0; I have tested with the ash pines demo.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

The SAVE_FOLDER_PREFIX in the AGS engine, which is equal to "/saves/", is used to indicate that the file should be created in the save folder. So in ScummVM we use the save path defined in the Global Option (in the "Paths" tab). The error you get is from the AGS engine and indicates that it failed to create or open that file. You may want to check that you have write access to the save folder defined in the ScummVM options (I assume you do, as you would have noticed the issue with other game otherwise), and that there is no file named "redbow.999" already or that you have write permission on the file if it already exists.
scoriae

Post by scoriae »

I am on Windows 10. And I'm not getting this issue with other games. My save folder is full off other files from games I've been playing recently.

Thank you for the information though. It confirms what I thought was going on. At one point I even removed the save folder, and ScummVM recreated it at launch (which I expected), but still got the error.

At this point I just need to figure out what is causing it to not be able to create these files.

I went about bought a different stranga game and it worked. So weird
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

AmigaOS4 has a similar report

Not platform, but AGS related, it seems
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

On AmigaOS4 they found a workaround
You must create a "save1" directory in the scummvm directory and configure the gobliiins 5 game to save the directory "save1".
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

Raziel wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:48 am On AmigaOS4 they found a workaround
You must create a "save1" directory in the scummvm directory and configure the gobliiins 5 game to save the directory "save1".
Hmm, this is interesting. So (at least the AmigaOS4 issue) is it indeed connected to the Cloud saving feature as they write on that forum?

Because by setting the game (eg. gobliiins 5) to save to a custom folder, it is skipped from the Cloud saving (which only synchs the default saving folder). Is there a conflict of the Cloud functionality with the AGS engine trying to create this starting save file? Because the message comes from the AGS engine.

Maybe this should be reported as a proper ticket on the ScummVM bug tracker.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

there already is a cloud sync related bug item on the tracker
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14455

while it has nothing really to do with this problem it may be worth investigating, maybe its enough to turn off those excessive checks?