BASS Windows Installer updated

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

clem

BASS Windows Installer updated

Post by clem »

I updated the Windows BASS bundle with 0.8.0 and updated datafiles, I hope I picked the right forum for announcing that :-)

http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... /steelsky/

clem
mat69

Post by mat69 »

So if I want the updated files I have to download the whole game again?
What is the difference anyway --> the changelog does not help me there as I have no clue what NSIS is ...
On the ScummVM main page the add that some language files have been fixed. So are some translation mistakes removed now?

Edit^70: Btw. would you mind making (my English teacher told me that this is more polite than "could you please ..." :roll: ) a zip of the german manual as well on your site? :)
Edit^71: Man thinking before posting would be THE deal. Ok, is there a difference between BASS located on your page and on scummvm.org beside the fact that yours has an installer?
clem

Post by clem »

NSIS is just the software used to make the installer

I think they also fixed the German translation error between 0.7.1 and 0.8.0 where the german said he's 21m above the ground, and the english ver said it's 120m (that's not in the datafile but a hack in scummvm afaik)

The zip file with the html manual contains both languages, it presents you with the same selection as the version online:
http://www.unet.univie.ac.at/~a0200586/ ... ky/manual/

The BASS game on my site is the same as that one from ScummVM.org - it just installs without much user interaction, creates icons and hides the black console window when playing. (oh, and you can move the directory around and it'll not complain about missing paths, so you can put it on an USB stick or smthn)

clem
mat69

Post by mat69 »

Thank you for the answer. :)
mat69

Post by mat69 »

There still are some translation errors like when Lam gets that the conveyer band is not working he says ".. but it is not bloody working" and in german "aber das ist keine schmutzige Arbeit". That's wrong. Correct would be something like this: "verdammt es arbeitet aber nicht!".
Another mistake I spotted was at the beginning of the game. He looks at the small lift and says "it barely can carry my weight" or something like that but in german "sieht so aus als könnte es mein Gewicht tragen" ...

Are there any chances that those mistakes are being solved in future versions? :)
clem

Post by clem »

it can barely carry my weight = would have to be " es kann KAUM mein Gewich tragen" (=fast nicht = almost not) - neglectable imo, just a free translation

similar with bloody working/dirty work - it doesn't really make sense, but it does not contradict the game in the way the 120m VS 21m does (the background gfx show it's way more than 21m)

(says clem who's doing English studies at university and at the moment having fun translating newspaper articles from German into English)

haven't played it lately, but does the German version still display the info popups in cyberspace wrong? (ÄÖ instead of ascii lines)
mat69

Post by mat69 »

Maybe you can translate those sentences the way it is done, if you don't look at them in their context. Yet for me it is completly clear (in the context), that Lamb is talking about the machine (not the work), and that Foster is not sure if the lift can carry his weight. The sense of those two sentences is completly different (in the context), compared with the english version imo.
And for sure those two sentences are not so important, but I just like BASS and was interested if they could be modified in the future.
(says mat69 who's not doing English studies at university ;) )

Hmm, I think the popups do work now, at least I did not spotted Äs or Ös.
clem

Post by clem »

I'll have to do some portfolio for translation class, comparing a good an a bad translation - I guess I'll try translation the british BASS version to two bad translations - US English and German, heh

clem