Maniac Mansion NES - New uncensor hack

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Muyfa666

Maniac Mansion NES - New uncensor hack

Post by Muyfa666 »

I noticed that someone created a uncensor hack for the official NES version of Maniac Mansion.

This hack is very new - was released on the 4th of june 2023.

Since it works with official PRG's that one can dump at home, would it be possible to have this hacked version supported in ScummVM somehow?
sev
ScummVM Lead

Re: Maniac Mansion NES - New uncensor hack

Post by sev »

I did not see it, but I will not be surprised that it is just a binary diff between the prototype and the release.

Eugene
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

Meaning it could be a easy add in theory?

The NES version is a nice curiosity, and to have it bugfixed and uncensored with mouse control would be nice. :-)
sev
ScummVM Lead

Post by sev »

Muyfa666 wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 10:48 pm Meaning it could be a easy add in theory?
Meaning it is the same copyrighted material and cannot be freely redistributed. E.g. I meant that I suspect that it could be a patch that just brings the released version to the prototype, matching byte by byte or with insignificant differences.

Eugene
Muyfa666

Post by Muyfa666 »

I see. I don't really think that's what he's done at all, but if that's your take on it I guess that's it.
invwar

Post by invwar »

@sev: it is a normal ROM hack, so not working without obtaining the original Release US ROM. I don't think this is any bigger problem as already supported by ScummVM.

The patch is also doubling the Size of the ROM from 256 to 512KB. This does not look just like the normal smaller changes, itr seems like they are added to the end, after 3ffff.