Myst IV

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

mantene

Myst IV

Post by mantene »

Is there any chance someone will ever make Myst IV work with SCUMMVM? I cannot get it to work in Windows 11 and it no longer works on modern Mac OS. I feel like SCUMMVM is the ultimate platform for keeping games like this alive. :(
fibs

Re: Myst IV

Post by fibs »

Did you try this unofficial patch for Windows 10? It might work for Windows 11 as well. (Instructions: Unpack dinput.dll from this zip into [game root]\bin directory.)
mantene

Post by mantene »

fibs wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:10 pm Did you try this unofficial patch for Windows 10? It might work for Windows 11 as well. (Instructions: Unpack dinput.dll from this zip into [game root]\bin directory.)
Thanks, I did try that, as well as other things people suggested in various other posts, such as removing all HID devices until you find the one that is causing the problem (none of them seem to be the issue). Or running in compatibility mode. Yeah, I have tried a lot of things. I am at the end of my rope.
fibs

Post by fibs »

Just to be sure, you successfully installed the game and get no discernible error message when trying to run the game (with the above-mentioned dll) on Windows 11? Anyway, this project and this page suggest Myst IV works with free WINE-wrapper PlayOnMac. If desperate, you can also boot up a VM of an older version of Windows with Virtualbox (free), provided you have an old Windows installation disc or Microsoft still offers those modern.IE VM appliances (which IIRC included a time-limited Windows 7).

I don't think the game will be supported by ScummVM sooner than you can try the above.
mantene

Post by mantene »

No errors on install - though I am installing via Steam, which seems to limit some of my options. I am not sure how to try it in a VMWare VM since there is no working steam client for windows XP anymore (I've tried). I will look into the PlayOnMac though! Thanks for that. Worth a shot, right!
Thanks again.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

It is unclear if the ALIVE engine developed by Ubisoft for Myst IV is an evolution of the engine used for Myst III: Exile:
https://mystjourney.com/revelation/making-of/

In either case, this is a lot of work so please refer to this standard FAQ answer: https://docs.scummvm.org/en/latest/help ... the-future

But nothing preclude yourself or others taking a look at this :)
mantene

Post by mantene »

Hey, if I were that good of a programmer I would try my hand at adding it to SCUMMVM myself. Alas, tis not to be. I did, however, get it to work using this on my linux box: https://github.com/Steam-Headless/docker-steam-headless
Then I just play it via Steam link.