DOS games with Amiga sound

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Kokos

DOS games with Amiga sound

Post by Kokos »

Hi,

I bought few classic adventure games on GOG running via ScummVM, but I just can't stand music quality as this comes from DOS versions. Is there any possibility to swap music from Amiga version or I just need to get Amiga version and run it instead? For example Indy Atlantis?

Thanks,
K
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: DOS games with Amiga sound

Post by Praetorian »

Kokos wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 pm I bought few classic adventure games on GOG running via ScummVM, but I just can't stand music quality as this comes from DOS versions. Is there any possibility to swap music from Amiga version or I just need to get Amiga version and run it instead? For example Indy Atlantis?
As far as I know you can't swap DOS release's "music" for the one from the Amiga version.

You do have some (audio emulation) options though.
On the ScummVM launcher, select the game and go to Game Options -> Audio. Override Global Settings and choose a device that sounds good to you.
  • FluidSynth audio with a custom Soundfont like: UHD3 or Fatboy's Soundfont (see here). Soundfont is set from the MIDI tab.
  • Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth [Windows MIDI]
  • Adlib emulator
  • MT-32 emulation (if you have the required files for this).
  • PC Speaker Emulation (for really hardcore nostalgic tastes)
There's more detailed info here on ScummVM audio options:
https://docs.scummvm.org/en/v2.7.0/adva ... audio.html

Some of the other music device options won't be supported and the audio will revert to default (a device automatically selected by ScummVM).

I believe you can also use physical audio devices like True Roland MT-32 connected to your PC, but I've never tested this myself.

Note: Make sure you're running the games with a recent ScummVM release (current is 2.7.0). GOG ship the games with quite old by now ScummVM versions.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: DOS games with Amiga sound

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Kokos wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 3:24 pm Is there any possibility to swap music from Amiga version or I just need to get Amiga version and run it instead? For example Indy Atlantis?
I don't have the Amiga version of Fate of Atlantis (come to think of it, I own hardly any Amiga versions) but judging by longplays on YouTube, for this particular game it's not just a matter of sound: The Amiga version is missing a lot of music compared to the DOS version, so there's no way they're going to sound alike.