Bug with cross-hair cursor?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

Bug with cross-hair cursor?

Post by almeath »

In macOS Ventura (13.2) and ScummVM 2.7.0, I have noticed another strange behavior related to the mouse cursor.

It only appears to affect LucasArts games that use the original Scumm engine and also utilize a cross-hair cursor. Games using arrow cursors (i.e. as in Loom) are not affected.

The other important thing to note is that it only happens when using SDL Surface as the graphic mode and AdvMame as the scaler. No other combination exhibits the issue, as far as I can tell.

I have included some screenshots to illustrate. The artifacts are shaped like little angle rulers. The ones in Full Throttle are further away from the cross-hair.
Attachments
ff_cursor.jpg
ff_cursor.jpg (463.82 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
dig_cursor.jpg
dig_cursor.jpg (483.04 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
monkey_cursor.jpg
monkey_cursor.jpg (447.45 KiB) Viewed 4682 times
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Re: Bug with cross-hair cursor?

Post by criezy »

There have been various fixes to cursor display since the release, so its possible that the issue is already fixed in daily builds (using the ScummVM latest download and not ScummVM stable). If not then creating a ticket on https://bugs.scummvm.org/ would be good so that this gets visibility and is not forgotten.
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Local build from yesterday and i can confirm the behaviour.
https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14308

@almeath

Please add any more information you might have to the tracker item

Could you please also check https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/14309 and see if it affects you aswell (i'm suspecting a big endian problem or some bug in my opengl/gl4es version)
almeath

Post by almeath »

Thanks for posting the ticket @Raziel. If I have anything else useful to add I will do so.

I checked the other ticket you mentioned, and tested Ringworld 1 and Simon the Sorcerer 1.

Using OpenGL and "x1" normal scaling, I do not experience the same cursor problems. Everything looks fine to me. See below.

I tested the downloadable build of 2.7.0 as well as my own custom-build of 2.7.0., which I made to avoid the issue reported in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=16801
Attachments
simon.png
simon.png (166.7 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
ringworld2.png
ringworld2.png (181.13 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
ringworld.png
ringworld.png (160.66 KiB) Viewed 4515 times
Raziel
ScummVM Porter

Post by Raziel »

Thanks a lot for testing.