Leisure suit larry 6 hi-res Oil lamp

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Subbi

Leisure suit larry 6 hi-res Oil lamp

Post by Subbi »

Good afternoon,

While playing Larry 6 Hi-res al the way through, close to the end you have to fill the oil lamp with cellulite.
The game freezes while filling the lamp and there does not seem to be a way to get past this point.

A quick search learned me that this question was asked once before back in 2018, but was referred back to the Issue tracker given it was already reported.
I can't find any mention of this sofar. Is this issue solved in anyway, or at least given an option to get past this point in the game?

Thanks much,
Subbi
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Leisure suit larry 6 hi-res Oil lamp

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:40 pm A quick search learned me that this question was asked once before back in 2018, but was referred back to the Issue tracker given it was already reported.
I can't find any mention of this sofar. Is this issue solved in anyway, or at least given an option to get past this point in the game?
Perhaps they meant this bug report: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10484

I don't know any details, though. I haven't played the game since... well, it was probably long before ScummVM supported it, at any rate.
Subbi

Post by Subbi »

Yes, that is the one. The resolution though is not clear to me.
I'm indeed playing the original CD version and ScuMMVM does recognize it as the Hi-res version.

I've bought since also the GOG version of the Larry collection which I assume has the same HI-res version, but I expect when I try the GOG version I probably can't use my savegames from this playthrough and have to start over.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Post by eriktorbjorn »

Subbi wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:14 pm I've bought since also the GOG version of the Larry collection which I assume has the same HI-res version, but I expect when I try the GOG version I probably can't use my savegames from this playthrough and have to start over.
I'm not sure I understood the question correctly, but I asked around a bit. Apparently, the oil lamp problem you describe will happen if the PATCHES folder is missing. From what I understand the patch files replace bits of the original data files, and was probably a convenient way of shipping updates to games back in the day.

But such changes - at least in this case - break savegame compatibility, so if the missing patches caused your problem putting them back would indeed mean you have to start over from the beginning. My PATCHES folder contains the following files, which I hope is correct! It does match both my GOG and CD versions (except for the "T" file, which is just some dummy textfile that says "directory can't be empty").

Code: Select all

0.HEP	 260.HEP  3250.SND  331.SCR  510.SCR  620.SCR  840.SCR	T
0.SCR	 260.SCR  330.HEP   380.HEP  600.HEP  650.HEP  860.HEP
140.HEP  280.HEP  330.SCR   380.SCR  600.SCR  650.SCR  860.SCR
140.SCR  280.SCR  331.HEP   510.HEP  620.HEP  840.HEP  93.MSG