Small Fonts in GUI on Apple Silicon

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

rybodiddly

Small Fonts in GUI on Apple Silicon

Post by rybodiddly »

Having issues with scummvm compiled on apple silicon running big sur. Please see attached. The text is illegibly small. Just wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to edit in the source to correct this?
Attachments
scummvm.jpg
scummvm.jpg (325.4 KiB) Viewed 1369 times
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Small Fonts in GUI on Apple Silicon

Post by eriktorbjorn »

rybodiddly wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:16 am Having issues with scummvm compiled on apple silicon running big sur. Please see attached. The text is illegibly small. Just wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to edit in the source to correct this?
There is a "GUI scale" setting on the Option dialog's Misc tab. I get small text like that if I change it to "Small", but if yours is already set to something larger than that I don't know.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

If you compiled it yourself, you may be missing the freetype library. That will cause ScummVM to fallback on non-scalable fonts, which doesn't work well on high-res screens.
rybodiddly

Post by rybodiddly »

Have already experiemented with the GUI scaling, and Very Large just makes the tabs etc. larger, but text remains the same. Also checked and I have the newest freetype 2.11.1 library installed via brew. Also checked my configure process and it finds FreeType2 without any issues.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Post by rootfather »

Please check out the "Paths" tab in the "Options" dialog. This looks pretty much like a wrong "Theme Path" to me, breaking the font loading.
rybodiddly

Post by rybodiddly »

rootfather wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:08 pm Please check out the "Paths" tab in the "Options" dialog. This looks pretty much like a wrong "Theme Path" to me, breaking the font loading.
My Paths location for Themes is directed to the following custom location: /User/<my_username>/Documents/ScummVM Themes
I copied the source contents scummvm-master/gui/themes/*.* to the above custom location.
Then I was able to select the remastered theme

Also checked my ScummVM Preferences located in /User/<my_username>/Library/Preferences/ScvummVM Preferences and it contains the correct theme path.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I think it might fail to find the fonts.dat file that is in scummvm-master/dists/engine-data/.
You can set your extrapath to point to that folder and it should it. This is also needed for some games that use files in that folder. I just checked and indeed I have the extra path pointing to that folder myself, and if I unset I get the issue you describe.

Note: When generating an app bundle all this is unnecessary as all the files needed are copied into the ScummVM.app bundle and found automatically without the need to set the theme path or extra path. However as you wrote that you used homebrew, generating the bundle will not be possible (as you will be missing some static libraries).
rybodiddly

Post by rybodiddly »

criezy wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 12:30 pm I think it might fail to find the fonts.dat file that is in scummvm-master/dists/engine-data/.
You can set your extrapath to point to that folder and it should it. This is also needed for some games that use files in that folder. I just checked and indeed I have the extra path pointing to that folder myself, and if I unset I get the issue you describe.

Note: When generating an app bundle all this is unnecessary as all the files needed are copied into the ScummVM.app bundle and found automatically without the need to set the theme path or extra path. However as you wrote that you used homebrew, generating the bundle will not be possible (as you will be missing some static libraries).
That did it! I put the fonts.dat in my extras folder and it worked like a charm. Thanks so much for investigating. In regards to the bundle, I had previously tried the current bundle in the downloads section compatible with apple silicon and noticed that for some reason when the icon was placed on my dock it caused the system to use Rosetta. Was trying to stay completely apple silicon. I also noticed as you mentioned that using the make bundle command did not work with brew (specifically libfluidsynth.a, as brew only supplies dylib). Assume I will have to manually compile and set path variables to the required libraries to make the bundle.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

rybodiddly wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:12 am I had previously tried the current bundle in the downloads section compatible with apple silicon and noticed that for some reason when the icon was placed on my dock it caused the system to use Rosetta. Was trying to stay completely apple silicon.
This should be fixed with the 2.5.1 release now available on the download page.
ScummVM includes a Dock plugin and I forgot to compile that one for Apple silicon in the 2.5.0 release.
rybodiddly

Post by rybodiddly »

criezy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:18 am This should be fixed with the 2.5.1 release now available on the download page.
ScummVM includes a Dock plugin and I forgot to compile that one for Apple silicon in the 2.5.0 release.
Thanks! Can verify the dock plugin is working natively with apple silicon.