The Dig - music tracks cutting off

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

almeath

The Dig - music tracks cutting off

Post by almeath »

I am using ScummVM 2.5.0 to play the Macintosh version of The Dig. I have noticed there is a problem that is preventing various music tracks from playing back properly. For example, some tracks will randomly cut off after anywhere from 15 seconds to several minutes. When I move around between screens, the track will usually start up again, only to again cut off randomly.

I thought that perhaps the sound file could have become corrupted, so I copied the "The Dig data" file off my original Mac CD version, and also ran the ScummVM tool to extract the core components. Either way, the fresh copy of the data or music file does not make a difference.

I also own a copy of the PC version, so I tried copying across the music file from that CD, but if anything, the cut offs are worse and happen more frequently.

The game otherwise runs flawlessly, and the voice tracks are working properly. This issue is only affecting the music tracks. I am running ScummVM in macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Any advice is appreciated.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: The Dig - music tracks cutting off

Post by Praetorian »

almeath wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 9:48 am I am using ScummVM 2.5.0 to play the Macintosh version of The Dig. I have noticed there is a problem that is preventing various music tracks from playing back properly. For example, some tracks will randomly cut off after anywhere from 15 seconds to several minutes. When I move around between screens, the track will usually start up again, only to again cut off randomly.

I thought that perhaps the sound file could have become corrupted, so I copied the "The Dig data" file off my original Mac CD version, and also ran the ScummVM tool to extract the core components. Either way, the fresh copy of the data or music file does not make a difference.

I also own a copy of the PC version, so I tried copying across the music file from that CD, but if anything, the cut offs are worse and happen more frequently.

The game otherwise runs flawlessly, and the voice tracks are working properly. This issue is only affecting the music tracks. I am running ScummVM in macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Any advice is appreciated.
Can you also try with a daily development (2.6.0git) build? There has been a new vastly improved implementation for the Digital iMUSE engine by AndywinXp (aka Bosca) (engine, fixes) and a few other fixes for sound since the stable release.
almeath

Post by almeath »

Using the latest daily build appears to have fixed the problem, thank you.
MusicallyInspired

Post by MusicallyInspired »

I ran into this quite a bit on my most recent playthrough. I was using a daily build from the past couple months but definitely not one of the latest. I'll have to try it again.
almeath

Post by almeath »

I anticipate this will be resolved in the latest bug fix release (2.5.1) but the Mac version is not yet available for download. I will test and report back as soon as it is. At the moment I am still using a 2.6.0git build.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

almeath wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:44 am I anticipate this will be resolved in the latest bug fix release (2.5.1) but the Mac version is not yet available for download. I will test and report back as soon as it is. At the moment I am still using a 2.6.0git build.
As far as I can tell, the fix for this bug (which was reported in our tracker here: https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/13058), made it to 2.5.1. It's confirmed in the comments on that ticket and the git log.

However, the improved implementation of the DiMUSE engine is not part of 2.5.1. It's only in developer builds (2.6.0git) as of yet.
almeath

Post by almeath »

After some brief testing, 2.5.1 does indeed appear to fix the looping problem in The Dig. I am not sure what additional benefits the new DiMUSE implementation offers, but the music sounds good enough in the release build to stay with that for now.