Nokia n80 screen resulution

Subforum for discussion and help with ScummVM's Symbian (mobile phones, etc) ports

Moderator: ScummVM Team

ArRaY

Nokia n80 screen resulution

Post by ArRaY »

First, hi at all^^
I like scummVM very much, becouse now i can play
games that i had played years ago.
but on my new mobile phone, n80, (s60 3rd) it is not running fullscreen.
It is just running in 176X208 pix, althuogh i have 352X416.
and i cant strech it using 0+4.
is there a way to make it fit fullscreen or not?
if not, could you please make a new sybian s60 version for devices with higher resolutions?
(sry for my english iam just 14)

Thanks
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

If you have read the other posts about this topic you should know that this is still work in progress but should be ready for the 0.9 release.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Maybe at least you should be able to use one of the 320x200 (original resolution of the games !!) modes pressing 0+2 once or twice.

On my Nokia E60 the 320x200 portrait uses about half the screen height of the 352x416 and nearly the whole width.

... it was enough to play through the whole Sam&Max game. :)

So if it does not work, it seems to be a device-specific problem of the N80, not a problem of S60 3rd edition.

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Well I am implementing fullscreen in all directions and ways.. i.e full screen both in landscape and portrait for
352x416,416x352,240x320,320x240.. and it looks nice. So I guess the E60 has a default mode of landscape 416x352 .. so I will stretch to that extent in portrait. for a N80 in portrait I will stretch to a max of x2.. so that means a resolution of 352x400 for a 320x200 game or to 416x352 in landscape for a 320x200 game. And now I just have to get the coordinates right.. And I am getting there. So just be patient. The issue about the screensize has been mentioned since the first version of scummvm for S60v3 was built, and the screen on the N80 is very small. Well. be nice to see it use all the resolution available.
goetz

Post by goetz »

Well, the E60 has a default resolution of width=352,height=416. This is the resolution I use for the 320x200 games (twice 0+2 pressed), since it almost fits in width. The only reason for changing to an upscaled landscape mode could be the small size of the area used by scummvm on this display which is about 30mm*20mm on the display of about 35mm*41mm.

For the landscape mode there are several possibilities: One is to use the builtin device feature which rotates the screen clockwise to width=416, height=352. The other is to use the scummvm rotate feature (0+2 once), which seems to work well.

Since I like to have the controls on the right, I then have to flip the display by 0+3 which leads to some offsets between the initial paint and the repaints (and actual pointer coordinates). So this mode is not usable on the device yet, but not needed anyway.

For the moment I also don't have a clever idea how the interpolation for up-scaling in this mode could work. I like the clear native resolution of the games in portrait mode, although it is quite small. But I'm also looking forward to see some upscaled versions when they will be finished.

But ... no need for a hurry! Maybe I finish another game before scaling is available. :D

- Goetz
Anotherguest
ScummVM Porter

Post by Anotherguest »

Nice to see someone playing games, and beeing able to complete them. Upscale looks really nice actually. I finished the upscale for landscape yesterday and it looks really nice. And flipping is working really nice, better in non fit mode.
ArRaY

Post by ArRaY »

thanks to all replyd, sry i just used the forum search and didn´t got any results...
pressing o+2 doesn´t work, just the screen reloads (is black for a second)
if it´s just beeing ported, i can wait^^