Pixel perfect visual output?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

JohnnyW

Pixel perfect visual output?

Post by JohnnyW »

Hello all, I'm playing through some classic old games thanks to ScummVM, but I'm bothered by the way pixels are rendered. I understand there's a fundamental problem in that the pixels that would have been seen on old CRT monitors when playing classic LucasArts adventures wouldn't have been square. When playing full screen the games would have been stretched slightly vertically (unless you have your setup wrong).

I have a retina display (2880x1800). If tell ScummVM to play the game fullscreen with aspect ratio correction enabled, there are obviously pixel misaligns. Some pixels are square, some are stretched.

Is there any clever way to use the extra resolution of my retina screen to overcome this? For example, I've seen people capture Monkey Island videos in 4K on YouTube so that they scale down and maintain their perfect pixel crispness (it really works if you haven't seen an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inSQh4Jtzig ).

Is there anything I do to make a super pixellated game like Fate of Atlantis look closer to what it would have looked like on a fullscreen CRT?
JohnnyW

Re: Pixel perfect visual output?

Post by JohnnyW »

Hmm. It seems there's been some discussion about this before, but no ScummVM solution is mentioned?

viewtopic.php?p=87055#p870

Edit: Ok. Wow. So there IS a "Pixel Perfect" stretch mode. It's VERY close, but not quite... interesting.
rootfather
ScummVM Lead

Re: Pixel perfect visual output?

Post by rootfather »

Have you tried turning on integer scaling as well?