Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

George22

Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation

Post by George22 »

There is a project Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation that "intends the tinsel engine reimplementation by ScummVM to be able to load and play also Discworld Noir", the last game in Discworld series. It seems to be inactive for long time but this year its author put an info on Sourceforge page that it will use ResidualVM as backend. So my question is: Is the author of Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation kimskoglund in contact with ResidualVM maintainers and is there a chance that this project will be merged with ResidualVM?
I think it would be great to have Discworld Noir supported because it is very good adventure game but also it is very hard to get it running on modern computers. I was able to run it after reading various posts on the net but even after that it sometimes crashed during playing.

Discworld Noir on Mobygames:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/discworld-noir
Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tinselnoir
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

That project has had 0 activity the last 12 months, as far as I can see from their commit logs.
George22

Post by George22 »

somaen wrote:That project has had 0 activity the last 12 months, as far as I can see from their commit logs.
Yes, it looks almost like dead project. But this year I noticed change in the project info that "it will use ResidualVM as backend." It was not on the webpage when I checked it last year and this small activity gave me some hope that maybe something is finaly in the works.
somaen
ScummVM Developer

Post by somaen »

There are a few similar engine-projects on github, one for myst 3, and one for The Longest Journey, both have had rather little activity, and both are done by a single guy it seems.

Merging is up to aquadran, but I don't see any point in even considering that until there atleast exists something to merge, or for that matter, something worth merging (i.e. it atleast runs a bit of the game AND has people willing to improve on it).
superpingu

Re: Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation

Post by superpingu »

Hi,
First, sorry if my english is not great. I hope it is at least understandable. I know this topic is unactive since years but I really want to play Discworld Noir again.

I know the SCUMMVM project get the source code of Discworld (at least the first game), and used it to make those games available in this project. The question is, has they had the Discworld Noir code too. I guess not but I would like to know why.

Discworld Noir is one of the best game I have ever play. But on modern system, it is almost imposible to play this game. The only reliable solution I found is to build a virtual machine running Windows 95. If the source code of the engine is somehow available, I would be pleased to work on it to make this game available to everyone. I would be really happy to work to make the engine available to residualvm too. The other solution is retro engineering the game and I think it is almost undoable, since it need so many work. So my question is: "Is the game's source code available?". If not, subsidiary question is, "Can we ask somebody to provide it?"

Thanks a lot
Longcat

Re: Discworld Noir Engine Reimplementation

Post by Longcat »

No, the source is not available. There are(a few) similarities with the ScummVM TINSEL engine though.

I'm guessing the code is either not available anymore(does not exist), or is tied up in legal mumbo-jumbo.