Scaling

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

h3xx

Scaling

Post by h3xx »

It seems to me that the support for scaling algorithms (advmame2x, hq2x, etc.) is primitive; something shown on a background with more complex of a color scheme will not smooth-scale correctly, leaving the rogue pixel that would have been smoothed. It seems also like most Scumm games are at least somewhat sprite-based (I.E. there are separate layers for objects and backgrounds).
I was wondering if the scaling algorithms could be applied to one sprite at a time, and THEN composed into the output, instead of the unscaled layers being composed and then sent to the scaler.
I believe the result would (admittedly) take up more cpu cycles, but would produce a better-looking scaling.
eriktorbjorn
ScummVM Developer

Re: Scaling

Post by eriktorbjorn »

h3xx wrote:I was wondering if the scaling algorithms could be applied to one sprite at a time, and THEN composed into the output, instead of the unscaled layers being composed and then sent to the scaler.
I believe the result would (admittedly) take up more cpu cycles, but would produce a better-looking scaling.
That sounds like a lot of work for a small result. Also, I'm not sure what would happen with the "blurring" scalers, i.e. the ones that introduce new colours. Wouldn't they either have to assume a specific background colour, to calculate the new colours, or be changed to somehow handle transparency? I don't know.