New forum theme feedback

General chat related to ScummVM, adventure gaming, and so on.

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Ender
Retired

New forum theme feedback

Post by Ender »

Many of you have been waiting for this for a while, but we're proud to present our new-look ScummVM Forums

We would like to personally thank Clem for designing and
implementing the new theme, and Raina for creating the buttons and icons. After much work, the results speak for themselves.

So please, post any thanks, feedback or suggestions here!
joachimeberhard
ScummVM Team Member

Post by joachimeberhard »

'bout time!!!11111 :P :P :P

Thanks to clemmy and raina for the awesome work.

I can't believe the forum has landed. :D :D
ssdsa

Post by ssdsa »

The new look is much better than the old one! Great work! Thank you!
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

Generally I like it a lot. It looks very nice. BUT, I find it somehow hard on the eyes to read. I'm not exactly sure what causes this, but it might be the lack of sufficient contrast between the grey font on the white background. The combination actually even makes the background look grey to me (although I know it's white). It might also be the too strong contrast between the red buttons and the grey on white text. I think it might also be worth considering changing many of the grey backgrounds to some sort of beige to make it softer on the eyes.

While the new theme does indeed look a lot nicer than the old one, I think it could do with a little bit of tweaking (starting with changing the font colour from grey to black). Or maybe I'm just tired from studying for finals.
clem

Post by clem »

generally I tried to stick to the CSS colors from the main site... maybe something got lost in the process
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Olki is right there: On the website, we use black as text color, in the forum it's gray -- low contrast, hard to read.
LOGAN

Post by LOGAN »

Hey, the themo looks nice and is a cool addition to the site.

You still use the same board as before?

Congrats to the designer, allthouh mentioning special buttons and icons made me think that perhaps some adventure characters would populate them.

Well done!
chas-g

Post by chas-g »

A BIG well done to Clem & Raina for the improvements to the site :) But I have to agree with Olki that the white background is a bit hard on the eyes.
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

No, the white background is perfectly fine for me. It's rather the grey font that makes it hard to read. But then again, I'm on a laptop using a TFT screen. It's entirely possible that the white may be too bright for you if you're using a CRT -- I can't judge that.
clem

Post by clem »

olki wrote:No, the white background is perfectly fine for me. It's rather the grey font that makes it hard to read. But then again, I'm on a laptop using a TFT screen. It's entirely possible that the white may be too bright for you if you're using a CRT -- I can't judge that.
I'm on a TFT and everything looks ok to me (the text also looks almost black?) - might fiddle with the CSS later or so
olki
ScummVM Developer

Post by olki »

Hmmm.... Indeed. I just had a look at the forums with my flatmate's laptop, and the font colour looks almost black on it too. I wonder if this has to do with Microsoft's vs Apple's colour calibration, as I am on a Mac while my flatmate has WinXP. Or maybe my 14" iBook screen is just crap.
Quietust

Post by Quietust »

It's much better than it was before, but what I'd really like is if you'd let users choose which theme they want to use instead of having multiple themes appear to be available yet overriding whatever they select with the default.

That's just me, anyways.
clem

Post by clem »

Quietust wrote:It's much better than it was before, but what I'd really like is if you'd let users choose which theme they want to use instead of having multiple themes appear to be available yet overriding whatever they select with the default.

That's just me, anyways.
on the surface all that needs is a checkbox (un)checked in the forum administration

on a deeper level only LastCrusade and SVMDesign (this one) would work since some modification will break any other custom theme I think (and even Subsilver)

clem
fingolfin
Retired

Post by fingolfin »

Can't we just remove the "Board Style" popup from the profile page?