Larry 7 "Unzip" verb in other languages

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Gimlao

Larry 7 "Unzip" verb in other languages

Post by Gimlao »

I'd like to know, is there any way to unlock the "Unzip" verb in the "Other" menu, without having to type it in the text box ?

In the French version, we have to type "Ouvrir la fermeture éclair", which is more than 20 characters, so we just can't type it... and typing "Unzip" will not work.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I am not sure, but a bit of Googling tends to indicate that the French localization of LSL7 was not very well tested and there are various bugs in the original when using AZERTY keyboards and with the length of various commands :/

One suggestion online was to use the DOS, rather than Windows version as this stopped the missing accented characters... but not sure about the length without either patching the scripts of the game or other modifications.
Gimlao

Post by Gimlao »

I tried to play the English version, use the "Unzip" verb, save, and use the save files with the French version, but the game / ScummVM won't accept it. ^^;;;

Then I thought about hacking / editing the save files to unlock the verb... don't even know if it's possible.

I also tried to search for the english script file in the resources files, and apply it to the french version ... but I don't know what I'm doing. x)

And using TraduSCI will not help, it will not change the verb to type.

Maybe you / the ScummVM team will have a better / working idea. =p
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Well, I am an no expert in the SCI engine internals and I think this kind of script patch would be quite new and involved to fix up the slightly botched localisation :/

I did try doing some debugging of the parser with the debug console commands (CTRL-SHIFT-F5 during gameplay), but those commands currently provoke a segmentation fault crash on the latest development master when running LSL7 and several other SCI32 games... and not sure they would be applicable anyway.

I suspect your options are:

1. Get a copy of the English version and play that (GOG has it IIRC).

2. Wait for a SCI engine developer to take a look at this, but I would suggest filing a bug at bugs.scummvm.org in that case as that could take some time before they can look at it.

3. Either try to dig into code yourself or find / pay someone to do it for you and submit the resulting patch as a Pull Request.

Sorry about this, but I think this is kind of an issue with the original game scripts, rather than in our SCI32 implementation as the original engine apparently had similar issues.
Gimlao

Post by Gimlao »

Found something similar here in the Italian version :

https://bugs.scummvm.org/ticket/10404
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

Sorry, I saw that earlier when I searched the bug database for similar reports. I meant to link it, but forgot. It appears quite a few of the LSL7 localisations have issues with the parser, so this might be quite involved to patch.