Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

BarkAtKit

Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by BarkAtKit »

The game I'm using Scumm for, Riven, uses the spacebar to skip cutscenes (or at least I assume so because Myst does; I could be wrong). But Scumm overrides this into something like the opposite, a pause button. How can I change this?

ADDENDUM: I'm using Windows 10, and I have give more specs if needed.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Re: Is there a way to disable pause-with-spacebar?

Post by Praetorian »

BarkAtKit wrote:The game I'm using Scumm for, Riven, uses the spacebar to skip cutscenes (or at least I assume so because Myst does; I could be wrong). But Scumm overrides this into something like the opposite, a pause button. How can I change this?

ADDENDUM: I'm using Windows 10, and I have give more specs if needed.
I think the ESC key works for skipping cutscenes in Riven (at least when running through ScummVM).

And to answer the original question, I don't think you can disable PAUSE-with-spacebar.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

I just checked the user manual I have for Riven and it indeed says to use the space bar:
Riven User Manual wrote:To jump to the end of a movie, press the spacebar. But as with Zip Mode, be careful not to skip through an important movie.
So maybe this should be reported as a bug on https://bugs.scummvm.org/
BarkAtKit

Post by BarkAtKit »

Praetorian wrote:I think the ESC key works for skipping cutscenes in Riven (at least when running through ScummVM).
Thanks! I will try ESC when I get the chance.
And to answer the original question, I don't think you can disable PAUSE-with-spacebar.
It's surprising if that's the case, because I couldn't find anyone else raising the issue here. Don't a lot of games in general use spacebar? E.g, for jumping? Odd.
Praetorian
ScummVM Developer

Post by Praetorian »

BarkAtKit wrote: It's surprising if that's the case, because I couldn't find anyone else raising the issue here. Don't a lot of games in general use spacebar? E.g, for jumping? Odd.
I don't think it's that common with the classic point and click adventure games. Not any that I can think of.

Although, what I should have said was that I had a quick look at the source code for Riven in the Mohawk engine on ScummVM's Github Repository and it looks like (currently) the spacebar is hardcoded to be used as pause.
criezy wrote:I just checked the user manual I have for Riven and it indeed says to use the space bar:
Riven User Manual wrote:To jump to the end of a movie, press the spacebar. But as with Zip Mode, be careful not to skip through an important movie.
You're right! I thought I didn't see the spacebar mentioned when I quickly checked the manual (offered with the GOG version of Riven), but it's indeed there on page 12.