ScummVM logo Forum Index - ScummVM website - Contact us - Buy Supported Games: GOG.com Rules - Search - Register - Login curved edge
Folder Forum Index > General Discussion > Monkey Island (EGA) and CMS sound: Bug or "feature"
Monkey Island (EGA) and CMS sound: Bug or "feature"
  Author    Thread Reply to topic
vanfanel

Monkey Island (EGA) and CMS sound: Bug or "feature" 

Hi guys,

I have noticed that Monkey Island (EGA) has a strange behaviour regarding CMS sound/music: it sounds great, but after entering the kitchen on the Scumm Bar, where I can hear the food bubbling, music is gone on the bar.
Then I can enter the church, and music is there again, but if I exit the church and enter again, music is gone once more...

Back in the day, I played the EGA version on a PC without CMS, so I don't know if that's something on the script side of things or an engine problem, so I haven't opened an issue until I am sure it's meant to be reported.
Since Monkey Island is a fundamental ScummVM game, I though I should ask.

Thanks!

Post Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:39 pm 
LogicDeLuxe

If you can reproduce this with DOSbox, it is probably a script bug. If not, it would be a ScummVM bug.
You should file a report anyway, as ScummVM already has some script overrides in order to fix bugs like this.

Post Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:31 am 
vanfanel

@LogicDeLuxe: Great reasoning. Well, Dosbox plays it perfectly well, same datafiles.
So it's an Scummvm bug after all. I'll have to open an issue then: CMS audio is great!

Post Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:37 pm 
sev
ScummVM Lead

CMS emulation always was buggy as nobody implemented it properly yet due to lack of interest from the developers.

Eugene

Post Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:46 pm 
vanfanel

quote:
Originally posted by sev
CMS emulation always was buggy as nobody implemented it properly yet due to lack of interest from the developers.

Eugene

What a pity, because it sounds great. EGA+CMS makes a very interesting combination.
Post Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:41 pm 
Reply to topic