ScummVM 2.0.0 frozen when trying to add in a game file

Ask for help with ScummVM problems

Moderator: ScummVM Team

Megarad37

ScummVM 2.0.0 frozen when trying to add in a game file

Post by Megarad37 »

Is there a way to deal with ScummVM 2.0.0 freezing up when adding a new game file?
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

I assume you mean when you are using "Add Game" on the launcher?
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... to_ScummVM

It does block the UI thread while it scans the directory and subdirectories selected looking for games to add.

I am not sure what the issue is here, since adding games tends to be an infrequent activity and to add single games, users normally select the specific game directory so the minor "pause" in UI interactivity should not be a problem.
digitall
ScummVM Developer

Post by digitall »

If you are intending to add a large number of games in a subdirectory tree in one action, then you should be using "Mass Add" by holding shift which avoids this issue:
http://wiki.scummvm.org/index.php/User_ ... e_Launcher

However, it does sometimes detect spurious game entries since some games have file structures similar to others i.e. SCI games.
criezy
ScummVM Developer

Post by criezy »

If you are on macOS, you might be encountering a known random issue that causes the application to freeze for some users after adding a game (for example reported here and here. There are two ways that I know of to bypass the issue:
  • Use ScummVM 1.8.0 or 1.8.1 to add the games (and then you can play with ScummVM 2.0). It indeed seems that the issue only occurs with ScummVM 1.9.0 or more recent for some reason. This option is however only possible for games that were already supported in version 1.8.
  • Add the games using the Terminal (see my second link above).